Mylwaukee Weather

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27 7:34 AM
      The extended forecast:
      Wednesday night through Saturday: Very warm and humid with a chance of
      thunderstorms Wednesday night and Thursday and again on Saturday. Lows around
      70. Highs in the upper 80s to lower 90s. Cooler near lake Michigan.

      (Which is where our conference center is located)
    • Edith Louise Crowe
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27 11:11 AM
        Mary & Co.--

        I got an email recently from David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
        doing research at the Wade Center. His advice to me was, "Bring an
        umbrella and a fan." His experience confirms the info mary shared with
        us. Oh joy--nothing I like better than summer in the Midwest with no
        air-conditioning. It had better be a *lot* cooler near Lake Michigan. My
        hobbitish love of comfort may take a beating.

        Edith

        On Tue, 27 Jul 1999
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > The extended forecast:
        > Wednesday night through Saturday: Very warm and humid with a chance of
        > thunderstorms Wednesday night and Thursday and again on Saturday. Lows around
        > 70. Highs in the upper 80s to lower 90s. Cooler near lake Michigan.
        >
        > (Which is where our conference center is located)

      • Steve Schaper
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27 12:40 PM
          At 11:11 AM -0700 7/27/99, Edith Louise Crowe wrote:
          >From: Edith Louise Crowe <ecrowe@...>
          >
          >Mary & Co.--
          >
          >I got an email recently from David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
          >doing research at the Wade Center. His advice to me was, "Bring an
          >umbrella and a fan." His experience confirms the info mary shared with
          >us. Oh joy--nothing I like better than summer in the Midwest with no
          >air-conditioning. It had better be a *lot* cooler near Lake Michigan. My
          >hobbitish love of comfort may take a beating.

          While the Wisconsin Dells region may somewhat resemble the
          Trollshaws, the summer weather does not. A Mumak would be
          comfortable, but not a Hobbit. That aelfcrafty appliance known as the
          air conditioner is much-needed. People can die in the heat without
          it.
          ======================================
          It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
          ======================================
        • Matt Fisher
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27 1:04 PM
            Edith,

            >I got an email recently from David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
            >doing research at the Wade Center. His advice to me was, "Bring an
            >umbrella and a fan." His experience confirms the info mary shared with
            >us. Oh joy--nothing I like better than summer in the Midwest with no
            >air-conditioning. It had better be a *lot* cooler near Lake Michigan. My
            >hobbitish love of comfort may take a beating.

            Remember that the Wade Center is in Wheaton, IL. From my graduate school
            days in Madison, I learned that the weather in the suburbs of Chicago often
            can be different (and more uncomfortable) than on the shores of Lake
            Michigan in south Milwaukee. I've forgotten how many times I boarded the
            bus to O'Hare airport in Madison feeling fairly comformtable and got off the
            bus at the airport going "Yechhhh....."

            Of course, none of the above guarantees comfort at Mythcon....."Weather
            Manipulation" was not one of the courses that I was allowed to take in
            graduate school.

            :-)

            Matt Fisher
            (who will pack LOTS of t shirts and shorts for Mythcon....)

            Matthew A. Fisher (724) 539-9761 ext. 2356 office
            Chemistry, Saint Vincent College (724) 537-4554 FAX
            300 Fraser Purchase Road email: mfisher@...
            Latrobe, PA 15650-2690
          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28 6:59 AM
              I disagree a bit with SSchaper and suggest that Elves would have disapproved
              the air conditioner, they would have been past masters of the art of
              designing and siting houses and planting trees etc. to create natural cool.

              In my computer tech vocabulary there was a cantrip, "RYFM." It stood for,
              more or less, "Read Your Manual."

              I finally went back and re-read the Progress Report which informs all hobbits
              coming to Mylwaukee that some of the meeting rooms and the dining hall (joy!)
              have a/c, the bedrooms do not, but supposedly have fans. Just to be sure,
              I'm toting my own.

              Mary S
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28 7:33 AM
                In a message dated 7/27/99 4:23:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
                fisher@... writes:

                > David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
                > >doing research at the Wade Center

                Seems to be a confusion in what Edith wrote here. The Wade is, as Matt said,
                in Wheaton west of Chicago. I believe David is working there, rather than
                at the Tolkien archives at Marquette, Milwaukee.

                Several years ago we attended a Mythcon held at Marquette itself, in
                Milwaukee. We had an air-conditioned dorm which had been a motel once. But
                yes, it was hot outside. I remember dropping into a large Jesuit church
                which was unairconditioned and feeling very sorry for priests and penitents
                who might be in the little confession cubicles w/closed doors. And the
                priests have to stay there longer.

                I also remember the Procession with banners and garb, going down a main
                Milwaukee street. Talk about self-consciousness!

                Mary S
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28 8:25 PM
                  Stolzi@... wrote:

                  > From: Stolzi@...
                  >
                  > In a message dated 7/27/99 4:23:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  > fisher@... writes:
                  >
                  > > David Bratman, who's already in Milwaukee
                  > > >doing research at the Wade Center
                  >
                  > Seems to be a confusion in what Edith wrote here. The Wade is, as Matt said,
                  > in Wheaton west of Chicago. I believe David is working there, rather than
                  > at the Tolkien archives at Marquette, Milwaukee.

                  Since this has been mentioned twice, I'll address it, even though it's a
                  private matter. David was in both Milwaukee and in Wheaton at the
                  Wade. No, he wasn't bilocating. (No Padre Pio, he.) He flew into
                  Milwaukee, drove to Wheaton for research, drove a bunch of other places
                  in the Midwest (he's called me every night with the same weather report,
                  no matter where he's been: it's always hot and humid). He'll be
                  obviously going back to Milwaukee to pick up his lovely wife and her
                  intrepid traveling companion, Edith, Warrior Steward.

                  > Several years ago we attended a Mythcon held at Marquette itself, in
                  > Milwaukee. We had an air-conditioned dorm which had been a motel once. But
                  > yes, it was hot outside. I remember dropping into a large Jesuit church
                  > which was unairconditioned and feeling very sorry for priests and penitents
                  > who might be in the little confession cubicles w/closed doors. And the
                  > priests have to stay there longer.

                  Perhaps this is why it's no longer confined to the little
                  confessionals. They have big mass (no pun intended) services and you
                  queue up for a face-to-face confession with the pastor and various
                  rent-a-priests. (My church doesn't even have any confessionals. I have
                  to go to another parish if I want to be anonymous.)

                  > I also remember the Procession with banners and garb, going down a main
                  > Milwaukee street. Talk about self-consciousness!

                  Alas, my luggage constraints do not allow any packing of costume or
                  banner. That electric fan I packed was a high priority.

                  Berni, Worrier Princess

                  No, thank you, I don't want any of the following: