New Person

  • Trish Lewis
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 23, 1998
      I, too, am a new person just signed onto the list. I hope to experience
      many interesting discussions, that's my main reason for signing on. I
      also subscribe to MereLewis, which I must say is a fantastic list to
      belong to. Very intelligent and stimulating posts on that one.

      Trish Lewis

      >From: "Matthew Winslow, The Blue-Woaded One" <mithlond@...>
      >
      >On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:20:46 Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:
      >>I was wondering who else has signed up on the list so far. I saw that
      Ellie
      >>has put the sign up information on the Web Site.
      >
      >Well, I'm here. I signed up last week, but haven't seen any traffic yet
      and have been a bit busy to create traffic <g>.

      >I'm currently reading "The History of Our World Beyond the Wave" by
      R.E. Klein and will probably review it for Mythprint. Anyone read it?

      >---
      >Matthew Winslow mithlond@...
      >http://members.theglobe.com/mithlond
      >"Though I look old, yet I am strong and lusty" -- W. Shakespeare
      >

      >"Free web-based email available now at http://www.theglobe.com"

    • Pam Wellington Lackey
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
        >also subscribe to MereLewis, which I must say is a fantastic list to
        >belong to. Very intelligent and stimulating posts on that one.
        >
        >Trish Lewis

        Trish: can you post the URL for "MereLewis"? I would like to check it
        out.

        Hi Trish and everyone else. Since this list is so new, I thought I
        might introduce myself and hope that everyone else follows me.
        I am a visual artist, painter, art teacher in the public high school,
        and have been a Christian for many years. I also love to write but get
        little opportunity to do so. CSLewis has been the major influence on
        my walk and life. HIs life and writings have served as an inspiration
        and example. I have recently returned to school as a graduate student
        at Maryland INstitute, College of ARt, in BAltimore, Maryland, studying
        painting. I am currently in my second year of a 4 year program. I am an
        advocate of logical, clear headed thinking. IT is an art form that is
        rapidly disappearing. Language is eroding, post-modernism is rampant
        everywhere, ugliness, informality, cloudy thinking, anti-heroism,
        anti-intellectualism runs the show. I believe Christians, especially
        Christians involved in the arts, literature, etc, are the best people to
        fight the good fight, at least uphold the standards. Nice to be a part
        of this list. I look forward to many lively and challenging
        discussions.
        Pam Wellington Lackey
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
          I've been a member of the Mythopoeic Society for about ten years now and
          am in the Khazad-dum chapter here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm
          the Bratwoman, married to David Bratman, one of the Council of Stewards.

          By day I'm a mild mannered semiconductor technician, destroying computer
          chips so you don't have to. (I take them apart to look for defects or
          polish them in cross-section and take pretty pictures of them.) By
          night I'm a crusading conductor trying to get my church choir to learn
          their music. (My actual degree is in music. That and a dollar will get
          you a cup of coffee in Silicon Valley.)

          I'm trying to appreciate Charles Williams more. I figure one book a
          decade will do it. I'm sort of lukewarm about Lewis. Some of his stuff
          I like; others, I'm not so wild about. I like Tolkien, but not as much
          as my husband does--but then, who could possibly like Tolkien more than
          my David? I prefer to read current fantasy and non-Inkling stuff.

          Berni Phillips
          "I had to be a bitch--they wouldn't let me be a Jesuit." (from Matt
          Ruff's, _Sewer, Gas, & Electric_)
        • Chip Morris
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
            Hi all,

            Well, I've been involved with Tolkien's work since I was
            a child. I can remember sitting in class while my 4th
            grade teacher read to us the incredible yarn, The
            Hobbit. It was from then on I was hooked.

            I am a part time writer, though to earn money I work as
            a Software Technician and Web site designer. I love
            Tolkien, and all his works from the Sillmarillion, and
            beyond. He has affected my writing to, and I often find
            myself trying to meet the challenge of creating a story
            that is unlike Mr. Tolkien and the other Inklings. I
            also am a big fan of C.S. Lewis, Lloyd Alexander and
            Robert Jordan (of The Wheel of Time and Conan Fame).

            I love discussing Tolkien's work and his works.

            Hope to hear from ya soon. :)

            Chip

            Brain: Are you Pondering What I'm pondering?