Re: LOTR, a whine for Matt

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 26, 1999
      Responding to the message of <v04210103b3c28ba7aeb4@[24.2.204.60]>
      from mythsoc@onelist.com:

      > From: Steve Schaper <sschaper@...>
      [. . . .]
      > BTW, I have only received one copy of Mythlore since re-upping last
      > fall. Ought that to be?
      >
      > --Steve

      Well, I wouldn't have put it quite the way that Berni did, and I will observe
      that Glen managed 4 issues per year for some years, however, the next issue has
      been "95%-complete" since last November. I don't think we're going to see it at
      Mythcon. The Council is expected to proceed with an issue maybe this fall,
      under the new editor, Ted Sherman. IF he is elected in the fall election, we
      expect to see a return to regular Mythlores within a year or so. I would guess
      that we'll see at least a couple of issues next year, and possibly as many as
      4--unless it remains a tri-quarterly, in which case, 3 would be the maximum.
      Unless Glen's final issue comes out somewhere during that year....

      In the meantime, please note that Mythprint comes out every month, usually in
      advance of the cover month, like clockwork, ever since Ellie Farrell took
      over--hm, was it 3 years ago, now?

      David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
      St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
      fax: (612)626-2454
      e-mail: d-lena@...

      Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
      http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 26, 1999
        In a message dated 7/26/99 8:53:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        sschaper@... writes:

        > I was just thinking about how many areas were roughly modeled on
        > areas on England, esp., if I remember correctly, the West Midlands.
        > There are certain types of hills or 'down's that they have in England.
        > I'm not sure they have them anywhere else.

        O.K., there's several problems here. "West Midlands" is a county in England,
        and it consists of Birmingham and its suburbs. There's nothing wrong with
        Birmingham (after all, it's where Tolkien lived from age 4 to age 18), but
        there's little there that looks like Middle Earth. The term "downs" is
        usually applied not so much to the Midlands as to Southeast England. It
        means treeless, undulating chalk uplands of the sort used for pasture. I
        don't know if there is anything comparable to it in New Zealand. Is anyone
        here an expert on New Zealand geography?

        There's some very pretty patchwork-quilt sorts of landscape (like some of
        Tolkien's own illustrations of his books) in the Midlands of England. You'd
        have to point your camera carefully to avoid any signs of modernity, but in a
        sense it looks like Middle Earth, I guess.

        Wendell Wagner
      • THEODORE SHERMAN
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 27, 1999
          WendellWag@... wrote:

          > From: WendellWag@...
          >

          > O.K., there's several problems here. "West Midlands" is a county in England,
          > and it consists of Birmingham and its suburbs. There's nothing wrong with
          > Birmingham (after all, it's where Tolkien lived from age 4 to age 18), but
          > there's little there that looks like Middle Earth. The term "downs" is
          > usually applied not so much to the Midlands as to Southeast England.

          West Midlands is also a dialect area of Middle English--one of JRRT's
          many areas of expertise--that is comprised of the western half of the
          Midlands (middle) area of England. I can be more precise if you like. I
          think the previous writer, to whom Wendell was responding, was using
          West Midlands more of as a geographical area rather than a specific
          county.

          Yours,

          Ted Sherman
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 27, 1999
            At 08:52 PM 7/26/99 -0400, WendellWag@... wrote:

            >> I don't suppose anyone from Mythsoc is advising on this project?
            >
            >No, nor anyone from the (British) Tolkien Society, which would be an even
            >more obvious choice. Apparently Peter Jackson has talked with Christopher
            >Tolkien.

            I've heard of various fans offering their services to the project, but I
            don't know of any who have been hired for it. As for Christopher, as far as
            I've heard, he has not talked with the producers and is staying as far from
            the production as he possibly can.

            Wayne Hammond
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 29, 1999
              I just wanted to further defend my saying:

              > Actually, it makes sense to film in New Zealand.

              It would seem that if one were to make a movie about place X, the obvious
              place to film it is in X. But that's not always the case. For instance, if
              one wants to make a film about turn-of-the-century New York, with streets
              crowded with immigrants and pushcarts, the best place to film it is not New
              York, but (I'm told) Montreal, which has some streets that look like
              turn-of-the-century New York.

              If it's true that Tolkien based some scenes from _The Lord of the Rings_ on
              places near where he grew up in Birmingham, it's also true that there's no
              longer anything there that looks Middle-Earthish to my eyes. Birmingham
              looks to me very much like a modern city. If I were to compare it to any
              American city, it would be Baltimore. It's not that there's any particular
              building or anything in the skyline of the two cities that looks particularly
              alike, but they are of approximately the same size and both grew up in the
              nineteenth century and were greatly built upon in the twentieth century.
              They both seem to me to be generic bland big cities.

              If we are to look further at the counties that constitute the western half of
              the Midlands area, there are little pieces that would be acceptable terrain
              for the Shire, assuming you do a little pruning of modern signs and such. I
              think, though, that you would have a lot of trouble finding enough open space
              even for scenes in the Shire.

              On the other hand, I've been told that there are many different types of
              scenery in New Zealand, and most of it hasn't been turned into a cliche by
              overfilming (the way, say, that Monument Valley has been turned into a cliche
              by Westerns). Peter Jackson has to film almost 9 hours of film set in a
              large variety of kinds of scenery. Perhaps he has decided that wandering
              around the world finding precisely the correct look for each scene would be
              too expensive. Perhaps he is correct in thinking that he can find the
              correct look just in New Zealand.

              Wendell Wagner
            • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 29, 1999

                Wayne Hammond wrote:

                > I've heard of various fans offering their services to the project, but I
                don't
                > know of any who have been hired for it. As for Christopher, as far as I've
                > heard, he has not talked with the producers and is staying as far from
                > the production as he possibly can.

                Oops, I guess I shouldn't have believed the gossip I read about the making of
                the film.