Re: [mythsoc] Salon on LOTR

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2002
      From: Stolzi@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 4:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Salon on LOTR

      tgshaw@... writes:

      >> For example, elf queen Galadriel's know-it-all reply to Lord Celeborn when
      he
      >> demanded to know where Gandalf was.

      >What was that, I don't remember?

      >DP

      This was the Salon reviewer's take on Celeborn asking (words probably aren't exact), "Eight there are here, but nine set out from Rivendell. Where is Gandalf? I very much want to talk with him."

      Then Galadriel, taking over Aragorn's line from the book, and evidently reading someone's mind to get the information, says, "He has fallen into shadow."

      Celeborn's demeanor is quite cold and I can see how someone could possibly call it demanding, although that would be stretching it.

      How the reviewer got "know-it-all" from Galadriel's gentle reply, I don't know. (Unless she thought Galadriel was just showing off: "Ha, ha! I can read minds and you can't!")

      --Trudy

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor