News from Ansible

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 9, 2002
      Selected Tolkien-related items from the January issue of Ansible, the
      science-fiction fan newsletter. (Full text at www.ansible.co.uk). Any
      comments?

      >MIKE MOORCOCK, like everyone else except your editor, went to the movies:
      >`I actually saw _Lord of the Rings_ (en famille -- that is, the nieces
      >and in-laws watched, Linda snored gently through most of it, to wake up
      >occasionally to utter a snort of irritation, and I had to leave twice in
      >spite of me bad legs, just to get away from the boredom. Wow). Okay, Mr
      >Langford, ask your readers this -- since Prof Tolkien pooh-poohed most
      >science fiction for not being logical in its world-building, especially
      >its languages, of course, and since he swore that this was not a post-
      >holocaust fantasy, how come these early industrial revolution kulaks,
      >with sophisticated metal working skills, gunpowder, focussing lenses and
      >advanced printing methods, couldn't make one simple fucking cannon and
      >blow the bad guys off their keeps in a trice? Jesus, they could put an
      >intercontinental ballistic missile together with the resources I spotted
      >in hobbitville without even thinking about it, since my eye kept
      >wandering off the leprechauns and wizards. [...] It's the last fucking
      >unicorn opera I watch in a long while. Frankly, _Star Wars_ was a lot
      >more convincing and I thought that was crap, too.'
      >
      >RANDOM FANDOM. _Paul Rood_ spied on a
      >celebrity signing tour: `_Random Shopper 1_, spotting all the signs and
      >the big queue snaking around the block: "Terry Pratchett? Who's he,
      >then?" _Random Shopper 2:_ "Oh, you know, he's quite famous -- he's the
      >guy who wrote _The Hobbit_".'
      >
      >QUOTABLE. Terry Pratchett updated an old saying while appearing on the
      >_South Bank Show_: `At 17, if you don't think _Lord of The Rings_ is the
      >greatest contribution to literature there's something wrong with your
      >head. If you still think that at 50, there's definitely something wrong
      >with your head.'
    • David E. Cote
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 10, 2002
        > Selected Tolkien-related items from the January issue of Ansible, the
        > science-fiction fan newsletter. (Full text at www.ansible.co.uk). Any
        > comments?

        Yup.

        > >wandering off the leprechauns and wizards. [...] It's the last fucking
        > >unicorn opera I watch in a long while. Frankly, _Star Wars_ was a lot
        > >more convincing and I thought that was crap, too.'

        Charming, and discerning too. How nice.

        > >RANDOM FANDOM. _Paul Rood_ spied on a
        > >celebrity signing tour: `_Random Shopper 1_, spotting all the signs and
        > >the big queue snaking around the block: "Terry Pratchett? Who's he,
        > >then?" _Random Shopper 2:_ "Oh, you know, he's quite famous -- he's the
        > >guy who wrote _The Hobbit_".'

        Which phenomenon may help to explain the following:

        > >QUOTABLE. Terry Pratchett updated an old saying while appearing on the
        > >_South Bank Show_: `At 17, if you don't think _Lord of The Rings_ is the
        > >greatest contribution to literature there's something wrong with your
        > >head. If you still think that at 50, there's definitely something wrong
        > >with your head.'

        I will try to hide my shame. I like Pratchett, but his criticizing
        Tolkien is talent criticizing genius.

        What a straw man.
      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 10, 2002
          > >QUOTABLE. Terry Pratchett updated an old saying while appearing on the
          > >_South Bank Show_: `At 17, if you don't think _Lord of The Rings_ is the
          > >greatest contribution to literature there's something wrong with your
          > >head. If you still think that at 50, there's definitely something wrong
          > >with your head.'

          I will try to hide my shame. I like Pratchett, but his criticizing
          Tolkien is talent criticizing genius.

          What a straw man.

          I was trying to parse this -- I THINK Pratchett means that if you still
          DON'T think JRRT is the greatest at 50, there's something wrong with you.
          Well, I hope so, at least. He does seem to be well aware of his debt to
          him. In an interview on Amazon.com, though he has some criticisms to make,
          he said Tolkien was like Mt. Fuji in Japanese prints -- sometimes small in
          the distance, sometimes in the foreground, and sometimes not there --
          because the artist is standing on Mt. Fuji. Are there other things out there
          Pratchett has said in criticism of Tolkien?

          Janet

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 10, 2002
            David Bratman asked:

            > Any
            > > comments?

            I'd just as soon reposted material like this had the f-word discreetly
            veiled. It may meet Moorcock's standard for public debate but it doesn't
            meet mine, or, perhaps, this list's.

            OK, color me oldfashioned.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 10, 2002
              At 02:08 PM 1/10/2002 , Stolzi wrote:
              >I'd just as soon reposted material like this had the f-word discreetly
              >veiled. It may meet Moorcock's standard for public debate but it doesn't
              >meet mine, or, perhaps, this list's.

              Sorry; its presence escaped my attention while I was reformatting for
              sending. No offense on my part intended. Of Mr. Moorc--k's intent I
              cannot testify.
            • David E. Cote
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 10, 2002
                His wordchoice doesn't bother me, but his viewpoint did.

                > I'd just as soon reposted material like this had the f-word discreetly
                > veiled. It may meet Moorcock's standard for public debate but it doesn't
                > meet mine, or, perhaps, this list's.
                >
                > OK, color me oldfashioned.
                >

                > Diamond Proudbrook

              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 11, 2002
                  At 06:26 AM 1/10/2002 , Janet wrote:

                  >> >QUOTABLE. Terry Pratchett updated an old saying while appearing on the
                  >> >_South Bank Show_: `At 17, if you don't think _Lord of The Rings_ is the
                  >> >greatest contribution to literature there's something wrong with your
                  >> >head. If you still think that at 50, there's definitely something wrong
                  >> >with your head.'
                  >
                  >I was trying to parse this -- I THINK Pratchett means that if you still
                  >DON'T think JRRT is the greatest at 50, there's something wrong with you.
                  >Well, I hope so, at least. He does seem to be well aware of his debt to
                  >him. In an interview on Amazon.com, though he has some criticisms to make,
                  >he said Tolkien was like Mt. Fuji in Japanese prints -- sometimes small in
                  >the distance, sometimes in the foreground, and sometimes not there --
                  >because the artist is standing on Mt. Fuji. Are there other things out there
                  >Pratchett has said in criticism of Tolkien?

                  Here's what Pratchett wrote in "Meditations on Middle-earth":

                  "Do I still think, as I did then [in childhood], that Tolkien was the
                  greatest writer in the world? In the strict sense, no. You can think that
                  at thirteen. If you still think it at fifty-three, something has gone
                  wrong with your life. But sometimes things all come together at the right
                  time in the right place - book, author, style, subject and reader. The
                  moment was magic."

                  So it is indeed the opposite of what you were hoping he's saying.

                  I'm sure that the "old saying" that Ansible editor Dave Langford is
                  referring to is the one running, "If a man is not a liberal when young, he
                  has no heart; if he is not a conservative when old, he has no head." By
                  this reckoning, William Gladstone had neither heart nor head, which is an
                  absurd conclusion; so all young conservatives and old liberals may take
                  heart (or head) from him.

                  David Bratman
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 12, 2002
                    I tend to take the comments of that group of British
                    writers as the grumblings
                    of last frustrated remnants of the New Wave of the `60's and
                    those who
                    fancy themselves superior to the "average" fantasy readers.
                    I've read several articles and commentaries by one raving
                    against "fat fantasy",
                    and while he makes some good points, the overall acidic tone
                    and denigration
                    of those whose who read the currently popular fantasy series
                    is rather
                    juvenile.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 13, 2004
                      Ansible, by Dave Langford, is an award-winning monthly UK science-fiction &
                      fantasy newsletter. A couple items of interest this month:

                      >R.I.P. _Peter Woodthorpe_ (1931-2004), UK actor who voiced Gollum in both
                      >BBC Radio 4 adaptations of _The Lord of the Rings_ and in the Ralph
                      >Bakshi animation, died on 12 August aged 72.

                      >AS OTHERS SEE US. _The Daily Record_ warns that reading fantasy may
                      >be bad for your sex life: `Penguin books quizzed 1000 females about the
                      >holiday reads they would look for in a mate. / They found fantasy fiction
                      >like JK Rowling's series, JRR Tolkien's _Lord Of The Rings_ and Terry
                      >Pratchett's Discworld novels put girls off. / Sex and relationships
                      >expert Tracey Cox [...] said men escaping into alternative realities
                      >appear to have less grip on the real world.' Oh dear!

                      >HARRY POTTER AND THE VERY GREAT WICKEDNESS. This review in _The Wave_
                      >leads us to marvel once again at the courage of those who are
                      >prepared, in the name of religion, to make utter idiots of themselves:
                      >http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=22182
                    • Deidre
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 15, 2004
                        At 08:10 PM 9/13/04 -0700, David wrote:
                        >Ansible, by Dave Langford, is an award-winning monthly UK science-fiction &
                        >fantasy newsletter. A couple items of interest this month:

                        Thanks for posting these. I posted about them in my LJ, and sent a email
                        around to friends not on LJ. Obviously the DR polled some muggles/mundanes.
                        Most female readers of fantasy that I know would be happy to find a guy who
                        reads fantasy. As for the anti-HP vid, sounds like someone might ought to
                        think about suing for copyright violations, not to mention what sounds like
                        poor editing, and of course, being a bunch of hooey.
                        .
                        Deidre
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 15, 2004
                          At 11:41 PM 9/15/2004 -0400, Deidre wrote:

                          >Most female readers of fantasy that I know would be happy to find a guy who
                          >reads fantasy.

                          Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my wife
                          that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books on my
                          shelf.

                          DB
                        • Stolzi
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 16, 2004
                            From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                            > Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my
                            wife
                            > that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books on my
                            > shelf.

                            And on a very early date with my now-husband, he impressed me most by
                            completing a quote I made from WINNIE-THE-POOH.

                            Diamond Proudbrook
                          • Croft, Janet B.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                              While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                              of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                              Janet

                              > Indeed. There's some truth in saying that what initially persuaded my
                              wife
                              > that I was worth considering was the presence of Carol Kendall books
                              on my
                              > shelf.

                              And on a very early date with my now-husband, he impressed me most by
                              completing a quote I made from WINNIE-THE-POOH.

                              Diamond Proudbrook

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                                At 08:06 AM 9/20/2004 -0500, Janet Croft wrote:
                                >While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                                >of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                                What, he didn't already own a copy?

                                I've only ever checked out two books by Tolkien from libraries in my entire
                                life, I think. (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, immediately after first
                                reading LOTR and before discovering I could get it in The Tolkien Reader;
                                and Beowulf and the Critics, which I haven't shelled out for yet.)
                                Everything else I've bought, usually immediately.

                                David Bratman
                              • Croft, Janet B.
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                                  I think he did own a paperback copy, but was trying to catch my
                                  attention...

                                  Between office, home, and daughter's room, we probably own about seven
                                  sets now. I think I now own copies of just about everything except a
                                  few volumes of the History of Middle-earth (I even have photocopies of
                                  the early poems published in the Leeds University Verse 1914-1924), my
                                  most recent acquisition being the 1995 edition of the Father Christmas
                                  letters with the envelopes containing reproductions of the letters.

                                  Janet

                                  At 08:06 AM 9/20/2004 -0500, Janet Croft wrote:
                                  >While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                                  >of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                                  What, he didn't already own a copy?

                                  I've only ever checked out two books by Tolkien from libraries in my
                                  entire
                                  life, I think. (The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, immediately after first
                                  reading LOTR and before discovering I could get it in The Tolkien
                                  Reader;
                                  and Beowulf and the Critics, which I haven't shelled out for yet.)
                                  Everything else I've bought, usually immediately.

                                  David Bratman

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Berni Phillips
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 20, 2004
                                    From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

                                    > While I started dating my husband-to-be because I saw him checking Lord
                                    > of the Rings out at the library where we both worked!

                                    Oh, Janet, you have such good taste! And your daughter's a mighty fine
                                    person, too.

                                    Berni
                                  • Paul Labaki
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                                      --- "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...> wrote:

                                      > While I started dating my husband-to-be because I
                                      > saw him checking Lord
                                      > of the Rings out at the library where we both
                                      > worked!
                                      >
                                      > Janet

                                      How do we single men find such amazing women as you
                                      all? You are not too evident out in the dating world.
                                      It's hard enough just to find someone who enjoys
                                      reading, let alone reading SF. I guess a trip to
                                      Mythcon is demanded. Last time I planned to go (1998)
                                      I ended up in the hospital for a week and a half
                                      instead. Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                                      and 2700 miles away.

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • Deidre
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                                        At 09:31 AM 9/26/04 -0700, you wrote:

                                        >How do we single men find such amazing women as you
                                        >all? You are not too evident out in the dating world.
                                        > It's hard enough just to find someone who enjoys
                                        >reading, let alone reading SF. I guess a trip to
                                        >Mythcon is demanded.

                                        I'd suggest joining a local SF club or failing that perhaps a local book
                                        club. As I have often said, if it wasn't for fandom, my social life would
                                        be sorely lacking. *smiles* Attending SF cons (esp. all purpose ones) is
                                        also a good way to meet people.

                                        Hoping that I'm not stating the obvious,
                                        Deidre
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 26, 2004
                                          Actually there have been a number of marriages in the Mythopoeic Society,
                                          particularly in the early years, though not all of them lasted.

                                          On the other hand, I belonged to the MythSoc as a single man for 12 years
                                          and never got so much as one date out of it. Not that I was trying too
                                          hard: I was making many friends, single and married, of both sexes, and
                                          didn't want to risk spoiling that love by trying to interject a different
                                          one. I met my wife-to-be not here at all, but while Regency dancing
                                          (something else I'd done for ten years before it led to any dates).
                                          However a reader she certainly was, and taking her to MythSoc events
                                          considerably advanced our relationship.

                                          David Bratman
                                        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 27, 2004
                                            Hi Paul -

                                            My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon. Suggest you try the
                                            local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll connect to more Tolkien
                                            Fans.

                                            Mythically yours,
                                            Lisa
                                          • Paul Labaki
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 29, 2004
                                              --- Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@...> wrote:

                                              > Hi Paul -
                                              >
                                              > My husband of 26 years and I met at a Westercon.
                                              > Suggest you try the
                                              > local cons. Organize a Tolkien Panel and you'll
                                              > connect to more Tolkien
                                              > Fans.
                                              >
                                              > Mythically yours,
                                              > Lisa

                                              Thanks for the advice, Lisa. Hope to meet you in
                                              person at a con one day.

                                              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                                            • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004
                                                In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                                pflabaki2@... writes:

                                                > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                                                > and 2700 miles away.

                                                Paul,

                                                Where are you?

                                                Christine --- New Jersey
                                                " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                                ~ Author Unknown ~

                                              • Paul Labaki
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 16, 2004
                                                  Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                                                  ChessQu654@... wrote:In a message dated 9/26/04 9:32:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                                  pflabaki2@... writes:

                                                  > Oh well, Seattle in 2006 is only two years
                                                  > and 2700 miles away.

                                                  Paul,

                                                  Where are you?

                                                  Christine --- New Jersey
                                                  " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                                  ~ Author Unknown ~

                                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 1, 2004
                                                    In a message dated 11/16/04 12:23:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                    pflabaki2@... writes:

                                                    > Sorry for the delay, Christine. Personal issues have kept me from my email
                                                    > for more than a month. I am in Buffalo, NY.

                                                    Paul,

                                                    No worries about the delay. Sorry to hear you are having personal issues.
                                                    Guess it happens to all of us at some time - makes us appreciate the quiet times.

                                                    Buffalo sounds like an awfully cold place to be through winter. It gets
                                                    pretty cold here in New Jersey. My parents and brother are moving to North
                                                    Carolina in June, but I think having the change of seasons is great!

                                                    Do you belong to a smial? All this organized Tolkien stidy is new to me. I
                                                    just love his work, and that of C.S. Lewis. Currently, I am jobhunting. When I
                                                    am more financially stable, I hope to become more active. Right now, all I am
                                                    doing is job hunting, interviewing, working part-time, filling out graduate
                                                    school aplications, and studying for GREs and the vet tech exam. I work as a vet
                                                    tech, and can get better paid with certification. Not to mention, if I move
                                                    out of NJ, most other states require it.

                                                    What type of work do you do? It seems many people on this list work in fields
                                                    involving literature and writing. Am I inaccurate?

                                                    Best regards,
                                                    Christine (VanSaders) who rarely posts but enjoys reading everything