Re: RE: Re: [mythsoc] Excalibur (was Middle Ages epics)

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2002
      In a message dated 1/8/2 10:16:58 PM, Diane Joy wrote:

      <<And the incantation, I think is Gaelic. Alexei could probably transcribe
      it and render a translation, but the first words are "Anall na dhrach, uthas
      bethad, do-cheill (here's where I break down: it sounds like "dee en vay.")
      And I'm not sure how that transcribes. >>

      It's actually Old Irish (of a sort). The first part is _AnĂ¡l nathrach_
      ("serpent's breath"), the second one is _Uathas bethad_ ("horror of life"),
      and I don't remember the third one either. I know the whole thing id given on
      a number of websites, but I can't recall the URLs.
      Alexei