Re: Smeagol and Deagol

  • grannygreek
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Mark Harris <mark_r_harris@y...> wrote:
      > A disappointment of Jackson's film was the
      > elimination (at least so far) of the Gollum backstory:
      > not just the riddling session with Bilbo, but the
      > murder of Deagol. (If I were writing the adaptation, I
      > would spotlight this as a flashback; but if I
      > were writing the adaptation, I would put the emphases
      > in entirely different places than Jackson puts them.)

      I think that Jackson will put the Smeagol/Deagol story in later. we
      see a hand lifting the ring from the water, but it doesn't tell us
      who the hand belongs too, we then cut to Gollum saying that the ring
      is his - it came to him, as if he is trying to convince himself that
      he was right to murder Deagol. From this I am convinced that Jackson
      will put this part in as a flashback later on. I think it will
      probably work better in the two towers, we didn't see much of Gollum
      in fotr, so those who don't know the story will be more shocked at
      the extent of Gollums crimes when they are seeing more of him, than
      if they were told in fotr but later forgot it because of everything
      else that happened.