Parma Endorion now a free eBook

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2002
      More than a year ago I set out to write a new edition of Parma
      Endorion: Essays on Middle-earth. I even arranged to have it
      translated into French, Spanish, and a third language. Alas! Only
      the Spanish translators stayed with the project, and their part of it
      is still not complete.

      For my own part, I had to stop working on the eBook last Spring,
      until someone finally came forward a couple of months ago with an
      offer to help complete it (this was all just technical stuff -- the
      writing is still mine).

      The English-language eBook is now published in Adobe Acrobat format.
      If I had had the time, I would have gone back and revised the essays
      again, so I suppose there may be a fourth edition somewhere down the
      road. Anyway, here is a press release we sent out yesterday. It has
      all the URLs and the requisite "someone thinks this is great stuff!"
      quote, along with the usual self-aggrandizing hype and hysteria (but
      it doesn't use the word "proudly", which if you don't write or review
      press releases, probably means nothing to you <g>).

      Houston, TX -- January 5, 2002 -- Parma Endorion: Essays on Middle-
      earth, 3rd edition, has been published as a free eBook by Michael
      Martinez. The new Parma Endorion features selected artwork by Anke
      Eissmann and Rich Sullivan and updates essays originally composed for
      the original Parma Endorion Web site in late 1996 and early 1997.

      Covering topics such as "Planning the Middle-earth Wedding", "The
      Wonders of Middle-earth", "What does an Elf do in Aman?", and "What
      does a Woodman do all day?", Parma Endorion's award-winning essays
      have been utilized by Tolkien scholars, teachers, librarians, and
      students around the world. The Web site proved to be so popular it
      was redesigned for easier use in 1998, and has been translated in
      whole or in part into Polish, French, and Italian. In addition to
      new information and corrections, the 3rd edition features fan
      artwork. The images used represent some of the best noncommercial
      Tolkien-inspired arwork available today.

      Martinez is a highly respected Tolkien researcher and commentator.
      His work has garnered mentions in TV GUIDE and WIRED magazines, and
      he has been interviewed by journalists around the world in their
      coverage of Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Rings" movies. Martinez has
      been writing a regular column on Tolkien and Middle-earth for
      Suite101.com since 1999, and in 2000 he self-published a collection
      of essays as Visualizing Middle-earth. Martinez also directed the
      Tolkien and Middle-earth programming track for Dragoncon
      (http://www.dragoncon.org/), North America's largest fan-run
      convention, in 2000 and 2001. The author has also provided
      consulting services for several Tolkien-related businesses.

      The current Parma Endorion Web site
      (http://www.xenite.org/parma/title.htm) was selected by Yahoo!
      Internet Life for inclusion in its "Great Lord of the Rings on the
      Net Contest" in December 2001, in the "Best Site for Serious Tolkien
      Fans" category. The Yahoo! reviewer says, "these pieces don't play
      around -- Martinez...can quote chapter and verse from Tolkien's opus"
      (http://www.yil.com/daily/lotr/index.asp?date=011210).

      Artists Anke Eissmann and Rich Sullivan have contributed artwork to
      popular Web sites such as Tolkien Online
      (http://www.tolkienonline.com/) and TheOneRing.Net
      (http://www.theonering.net/), both widely recognized as authoritative
      resources for fans of J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson's "Lord of the
      Rings" movies. The artists were selected from among hundreds of fan
      artists who have displayed their skills on numerous sites across the
      World Wide Web.

      The Parma Endorion eBook is available for free download as an Adobe
      PDF file from Free-eBooks.Net (http://www.free-
      ebooks.net/fan_fiction.html). Free-eBooks.Net is a member of the
      eBooks'n'Bytes network (http://www.ebooksnbytes.com/). A Spanish-
      language translation is expected later this year.