Re: Second edition of _The Silmarillion_?

  • michael_martinez2
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2002
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Ginger L. Zabel" <glzabel@u...> wrote:
      > I have this edition... A letter by JRR to Milton Waldman in 1951
      > is added at the beginning. Also, here is the last paragraph of
      > Christopher Tolkien's Preface to the Second Edition (dated 1999).
      >
      > "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which
      > until now have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only)
      > of "The Silmarillion". Chief among these are those that concern
      > the numbering in sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for
      > these errors and an explanation of how they arose see "Unfinished
      > Tales" (1980), p.226, note 11, and "The Peoples of Middle-earth"
      > (1996), p.154, *31)."

      Legions of fans rushed to the bookstores when this "second edition"
      first came out, but we were disappointed to find that all the
      problems which Christopher had so meticulously pointed out and
      suggested resolutions for were left uncorrected.

      It would not have required much of a change in the text, for example,
      to remove the reference to Gil-galad as Fingon's son.