Mythlore

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 26, 1999
      >BTW, I have only received one copy of Mythlore since re-upping last
      >fall. Ought that to be?

      There has been no Mythlore since last year (July 1998). Subscribers will
      receive all issues paid for as they are published.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 27, 1999
        I am longing to see the papers from the Lewiscon last year... they really
        should be done in a festive, extra-type issue, like the "Green Book" from the
        Tolkien Centenary.

        Mary S
      • THEODORE SHERMAN
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 27, 1999
          I encourage all of you who read papers at last year's Mythcon Lewis Centennial to
          send me copies for possible publication next year in either a special, expanded
          issue of Mythlore (ala the Proceedings of the JRR Tolkien Centenary Conference)
          or perhaps in multiple isses dedicated to Lewis. Also, those of you presenting
          papers at Mythcon this week, please consider submitting your papers for future
          publication in Mythlore.

          Yours,

          Ted Sherman
          6545 Dynasty Drive
          Murfreesboro, TN 37128

          PS: Feel free to submit materials as Word 97 or ASCII plaintext email
          attachments.

          Stolzi@... wrote:

          > From: Stolzi@...
          >
          > I am longing to see the papers from the Lewiscon last year... they really
          > should be done in a festive, extra-type issue, like the "Green Book" from the
          > Tolkien Centenary.
          >
          > Mary S

          ������
        • Diane Baker
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 28, 1999
            Stolzi@... wrote:

            > From: Stolzi@...
            >
            > I am longing to see the papers from the Lewiscon last year... they really should be done in a festive, extra-type issue, like the "Green Book" from the Tolkien Centenary.
            >
            > Mary S

            I agree! Who wants to suggest it to the new editor? ---djb.
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 1999
              THEODORE SHERMAN wrote:

              > From: THEODORE SHERMAN <tedsherman@...>
              >
              > I encourage all of you who read papers at last year's Mythcon Lewis Centennial to
              > send me copies for possible publication next year in either a special, expanded
              > issue of Mythlore (ala the Proceedings of the JRR Tolkien Centenary Conference)
              > or perhaps in multiple isses dedicated to Lewis.

              I would reallly prefer the former. I know it's extra work, but you only
              need to do it ONCE. ---djb.

            • Joan Marie Verba
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2003
                Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                > How do I check if my Mythlore (is that the big annual?) subscription is
                > current? I am so befuddled I am not sure if I got mine already. Would it
                > have been dated 2002 ?

                The current issue of Mythlore is issue 90, Volume 23, number 4,
                Fall-Winter 2002

                Joan
                Joan Marie Verba
                verba001@...
              • Ted Sherman
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 22, 2004
                  _Mythlore_ is now published twice a year (the 2003 issues were published Jan
                  and June or July). The next issue, Vol. 92, is in process and should be out
                  within a month, and it will be, perhaps, a bit thicker than in the past.
                  Vol. 93 will be published anytime from late summer to December.

                  Vol. 92 will include the following articles:

                  _His Dark Materials_: A Look into Pullman's Interpretation of Milton's
                  _Paradise Lost_, Karen D. Robinson
                  A Note on Charles Williams's Phillida, Joe R. Christopher
                  Lewis's _Screwtape Letters_: The Ascetic Devil and the Aesthetic God, Larry
                  D. Harwood
                  “The young perish and the old linger, withering”: J.R.R. Tolkien on World
                  War II, Janet Brennan Croft
                  _The Lord of the Rings_ as Elegy, Patrice Hannon
                  A Larger World: C. S. Lewis on Christianity and Literature

                  and possibly:

                  So Familiar, Yet So Strange: Mythic Shadows of the Medieval
                  _Gawain_-Romance in Iris Murdoch’s _Green
                  Knight_, Carla Arnell

                  Yours,

                  Ted
                • Croft, Janet B.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                    This is good to know -- thanks! Sounds like an interesting assortment of
                    articles.

                    Janet

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 23, 2004
                      At 08:05 PM 3/22/2004 -0800, Ted Sherman wrote:
                      >_Mythlore_ is now published twice a year (the 2003 issues were published Jan
                      >and June or July). The next issue, Vol. 92, is in process and should be out
                      >within a month, and it will be, perhaps, a bit thicker than in the past.
                      >Vol. 93 will be published anytime from late summer to December.

                      I hate to have to correct the editor of Mythlore, but what he's preparing
                      should be, on past standards, _issue_ 92, not volume 92. It should be
                      volume 24 no. 2, though if the twice-a-year schedule is firm, we may want
                      to change to two issues per volume at some point. (Mythlore had two issues
                      per volume at one time in the past.) But to actually convert the old issue
                      numbers to volume numbers and drop the old volume numbering would
                      dreadfully confuse serials librarians and make them very unhappy.

                      Whatever its number, though, I'm looking forward to this issue.

                      - David Bratman
                    • Margaret Dean
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                        alexeik@... wrote:

                        > In a message dated 11/3/4 5:42:24 PM, Ted Sherman wrote:
                        >
                        > <<PS: Mythlore went out about two weeks ago, so if you haven't received your
                        > copy yet, please let us know.
                        > >>

                        > I got my copy yesterday.
                        > Alexei

                        Me too!

                        --Margaret Dean
                        <margdean@...>
                      • Mike Foster
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                          Received Poor Souls Day
                          [aka Election Day]
                          in Metamora, Illinois.

                          Mike

                        • jack@greenmanreview.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 5, 2004
                            J.R.R. Tolkien placed third in the Forbes.com list of `Top-Earning Dead
                            Celebrities Of 2004', with posthumous earnings of $23m. Ahead of him are
                            Elvis Presley ($40m) and Charles Schulz ($35m); the roster of the stinking
                            rich continues with John Lennon ($21m), Dr Seuss ($18m) and that icon of
                            many an sf story, Marilyn Monroe ($8m).

                            http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/Ansible/a208.html
                          • John Davis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 20, 2011
                              Having finally gotten around to joining the Mythopoeic Society as an email-member (I've lurked on this list long enough that I thought it was about time!), I was both pleased and surprised to get a copy of Mythlore through the post. Pleased because, well, anything unexpected through my door regarding the Inklings is always good, and surprised because it is number 15, and apparently from 1977.

                              Which, aside from reminding me how nice it is to receive journals and zines by post instead of online, makes me wonder if someone can let me know how I sign up to receive more up-to-date editions?

                              Thanks,

                              John
                            • Croft, Janet B.
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 20, 2011

                                We send out an older sample issue with new memberships just to get you hooked like this! (See, it works!) Current subscriptions and additional back issues can be ordered through our website, below.

                                Janet Brennan Croft

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 21, 2011
                                  Drat, I've been sucked in by your cunning marketing campaign!

                                  I'll go sign up.

                                  Thanks,

                                  John