Re: [mythsoc] Second edition of _The Silmarillion_?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
      Okkkkkkk....a search on Google yielded this from B&N.com,then..:

      This new
      hardcover edition
      of The
      Silmarillion features
      a number of
      minor textual
      corrections, along with
      a letter written by J.R.R.
      Tolkien describing his
      intentions for the work,
      which was written more
      than 25 years before its
      eventual publication.
      As described by
      Christopher Tolkien in
      the preface, The
      Silmarillion serves as
      a brilliant exposition of his
      conception of the
      earlier ages of Middle-earth.
      How's that?

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
        In a message dated 1/5/2002 5:04:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        lunacy2@... writes:

        > How's that?

        Thank you. Your text was weirdly formatted (or did that only happen in my
        copy of the message?), but given that I can't even manage to make the quoting
        work when I try to reply to a message on this mailing list, I'm certainly not
        the one to complain.

      • Ginger L. Zabel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
          I have this edition... A letter by JRR to Milton Waldman in 1951 is added
          at the beginning. Also, here is the last paragraph of Christopher
          Tolkien's Preface to the Second Edition (dated 1999).

          "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which until now
          have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only) of "The
          Silmarillion". Chief among these are those that concern the numbering in
          sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for these errors and an
          explanation of how they arose see "Unfinished Tales" (1980), p.226, note
          11, and "The Peoples of Middle-earth" (1996), p.154, *31)."

          -Ginger

          --On Saturday, January 05, 2002, 5:08 PM +0000 WendellWag@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 1/5/2002 5:04:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          > lunacy2@... writes:
          >

          >> How's that?
          >>

          > Thank you. Your text was weirdly formatted (or did that only happen in
          > my copy of the message?), but given that I can't even manage to make the
          > quoting work when I try to reply to a message on this mailing list, I'm
          > certainly not the one to complain.
          >
          > Wendell Wagner

          "To be ignorant is not such a shame as to be unwilling to learn." - G. W.
          Hoss
        • michael_martinez2
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2002
            --- In mythsoc@y..., "Ginger L. Zabel" <glzabel@u...> wrote:
            > I have this edition... A letter by JRR to Milton Waldman in 1951
            > is added at the beginning. Also, here is the last paragraph of
            > Christopher Tolkien's Preface to the Second Edition (dated 1999).
            >
            > "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which
            > until now have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only)
            > of "The Silmarillion". Chief among these are those that concern
            > the numbering in sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for
            > these errors and an explanation of how they arose see "Unfinished
            > Tales" (1980), p.226, note 11, and "The Peoples of Middle-earth"
            > (1996), p.154, *31)."

            Legions of fans rushed to the bookstores when this "second edition"
            first came out, but we were disappointed to find that all the
            problems which Christopher had so meticulously pointed out and
            suggested resolutions for were left uncorrected.

            It would not have required much of a change in the text, for example,
            to remove the reference to Gil-galad as Fingon's son.