Re: [mythsoc] Second edition of _The Silmarillion_?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
      In a message dated 1/5/2002 4:53:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      lunacy2@... writes:

      > Second book club edition, maybe?

      Come one, you're just guessing now. Book club editions, in any case, are
      never considered a revised edition.

    • Bill
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
        Okkkkkkk....a search on Google yielded this from B&N.com,then..:

        This new
        hardcover edition
        of The
        Silmarillion features
        a number of
        minor textual
        corrections, along with
        a letter written by J.R.R.
        Tolkien describing his
        intentions for the work,
        which was written more
        than 25 years before its
        eventual publication.
        As described by
        Christopher Tolkien in
        the preface, The
        Silmarillion serves as
        a brilliant exposition of his
        conception of the
        earlier ages of Middle-earth.
        How's that?

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
          In a message dated 1/5/2002 5:04:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          lunacy2@... writes:

          > How's that?

          Thank you. Your text was weirdly formatted (or did that only happen in my
          copy of the message?), but given that I can't even manage to make the quoting
          work when I try to reply to a message on this mailing list, I'm certainly not
          the one to complain.

        • Ginger L. Zabel
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
            I have this edition... A letter by JRR to Milton Waldman in 1951 is added
            at the beginning. Also, here is the last paragraph of Christopher
            Tolkien's Preface to the Second Edition (dated 1999).

            "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which until now
            have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only) of "The
            Silmarillion". Chief among these are those that concern the numbering in
            sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for these errors and an
            explanation of how they arose see "Unfinished Tales" (1980), p.226, note
            11, and "The Peoples of Middle-earth" (1996), p.154, *31)."

            -Ginger

            --On Saturday, January 05, 2002, 5:08 PM +0000 WendellWag@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 1/5/2002 5:04:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > lunacy2@... writes:
            >

            >> How's that?
            >>

            > Thank you. Your text was weirdly formatted (or did that only happen in
            > my copy of the message?), but given that I can't even manage to make the
            > quoting work when I try to reply to a message on this mailing list, I'm
            > certainly not the one to complain.
            >
            > Wendell Wagner

            "To be ignorant is not such a shame as to be unwilling to learn." - G. W.
            Hoss
          • michael_martinez2
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2002
              --- In mythsoc@y..., "Ginger L. Zabel" <glzabel@u...> wrote:
              > I have this edition... A letter by JRR to Milton Waldman in 1951
              > is added at the beginning. Also, here is the last paragraph of
              > Christopher Tolkien's Preface to the Second Edition (dated 1999).
              >
              > "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which
              > until now have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only)
              > of "The Silmarillion". Chief among these are those that concern
              > the numbering in sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for
              > these errors and an explanation of how they arose see "Unfinished
              > Tales" (1980), p.226, note 11, and "The Peoples of Middle-earth"
              > (1996), p.154, *31)."

              Legions of fans rushed to the bookstores when this "second edition"
              first came out, but we were disappointed to find that all the
              problems which Christopher had so meticulously pointed out and
              suggested resolutions for were left uncorrected.

              It would not have required much of a change in the text, for example,
              to remove the reference to Gil-galad as Fingon's son.