Second edition of _The Silmarillion_?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
      I just noticed that the copies of _The Silmarillion_ that are being offered
      in a flyer from a book club has "Second Edition" on the cover. Did I miss
      something or just forget about this? In what sense is this a second edition?
      Was something changed?

      Wendell Wagner
    • Bill

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
          In a message dated 1/5/2002 4:53:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          lunacy2@... writes:

          > Second book club edition, maybe?

          Come one, you're just guessing now. Book club editions, in any case, are
          never considered a revised edition.

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
            Okkkkkkk....a search on Google yielded this from B&N.com,then..:

            This new
            hardcover edition
            of The
            Silmarillion features
            a number of
            minor textual
            corrections, along with
            a letter written by J.R.R.
            Tolkien describing his
            intentions for the work,
            which was written more
            than 25 years before its
            eventual publication.
            As described by
            Christopher Tolkien in
            the preface, The
            Silmarillion serves as
            a brilliant exposition of his
            conception of the
            earlier ages of Middle-earth.
            How's that?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
              In a message dated 1/5/2002 5:04:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              lunacy2@... writes:

              > How's that?

              Thank you. Your text was weirdly formatted (or did that only happen in my
              copy of the message?), but given that I can't even manage to make the quoting
              work when I try to reply to a message on this mailing list, I'm certainly not
              the one to complain.

            • Ginger L. Zabel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2002
                I have this edition... A letter by JRR to Milton Waldman in 1951 is added
                at the beginning. Also, here is the last paragraph of Christopher
                Tolkien's Preface to the Second Edition (dated 1999).

                "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which until now
                have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only) of "The
                Silmarillion". Chief among these are those that concern the numbering in
                sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for these errors and an
                explanation of how they arose see "Unfinished Tales" (1980), p.226, note
                11, and "The Peoples of Middle-earth" (1996), p.154, *31)."

                -Ginger

                --On Saturday, January 05, 2002, 5:08 PM +0000 WendellWag@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 1/5/2002 5:04:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > lunacy2@... writes:
                >

                >> How's that?
                >>

                > Thank you. Your text was weirdly formatted (or did that only happen in
                > my copy of the message?), but given that I can't even manage to make the
                > quoting work when I try to reply to a message on this mailing list, I'm
                > certainly not the one to complain.
                >
                > Wendell Wagner

                "To be ignorant is not such a shame as to be unwilling to learn." - G. W.
                Hoss
              • michael_martinez2
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2002
                  --- In mythsoc@y..., "Ginger L. Zabel" <glzabel@u...> wrote:
                  > I have this edition... A letter by JRR to Milton Waldman in 1951
                  > is added at the beginning. Also, here is the last paragraph of
                  > Christopher Tolkien's Preface to the Second Edition (dated 1999).
                  >
                  > "I have removed a number of errors in the text and index which
                  > until now have escaped correction in the hardback printings (only)
                  > of "The Silmarillion". Chief among these are those that concern
                  > the numbering in sequence of certain of the rulers of Numenor (for
                  > these errors and an explanation of how they arose see "Unfinished
                  > Tales" (1980), p.226, note 11, and "The Peoples of Middle-earth"
                  > (1996), p.154, *31)."

                  Legions of fans rushed to the bookstores when this "second edition"
                  first came out, but we were disappointed to find that all the
                  problems which Christopher had so meticulously pointed out and
                  suggested resolutions for were left uncorrected.

                  It would not have required much of a change in the text, for example,
                  to remove the reference to Gil-galad as Fingon's son.