Ent Debates

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
      mark_r_harris wrote:

      > am coming to be
      > of the mind that what Internet chat groups really need
      > are "rhetorical umpires" to cry foul when ad hominem arguments and
      > other fallacies are attempted

      On the Mythsoc list, members are invited to post their opinions, whether
      or not they are supported by the text. There are no "correctness" or
      "accuracy" checks, though other members may, of course, point out
      inaccuracies or inconsistencies.

      On the other topic, this is a "no flames" list, but unmoderated unless I
      take action. This means that members can post personal comments, but if
      I consider them flames, I either post a list warning or send a private
      warning (or both). Parties who do not heed warnings may find their posts
      moderated (meaning I have to read and approve them before they go to the
      list).

      I try to allow listmembers to self-regulate if at all possible, but I do
      step in if matters get out of hand.

      Joan
      Your friendly neighborhood Mythsoc list administrator
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002