Re: [mythsoc] Peter Jackson's Two Towers

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
      Haven't yet seen the movie, I'm going to give Jackson some
      slack.
      Most of my friends who have read the book have now seen the
      movie and were very favorable. The one cut part generally
      missed
      is Tom Bombadil, but as one friend put it, just how much can
      you
      fit into one movie?
      As to Two Towers, I expext all the chars you mentioned will
      be
      present.Perhaps not as fully realized as in the book, but
      since they
      are such an intricate part of the plot, I can't imagine they
      will be left out
      I have some thoughts on the Merry and Pippin discussion, but
      will save them
      until after I see the movie when I am on vacation in another
      week. I plan to
      catch LoTR and HP!

      mark_r_harris wrote:
      Hello! I'm new here, so I thought I would take the opportunity
      post a couple of comments I made on another Tolkien list.
      Here's the
      first:
      I am not hopeful about PJ's Two Towers. There is so much
      material in
      the last two books to introduce, I cannot imagine him taking
      all of
      it on. Fangorn, Rohan, and Gondor all involve the presentation
      of
      entirely new sets of characters. Does anyone seriously think
      that
      Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, and the rest of the
      key
      figures are all going to make the cut? I expect intense (and
      deleterious) streamlining.
      PJ's Fellowship fails for me because I think he has missed the
      heart
      of the book. The scenes I most looked forward to were missing
      or
      badly botched. The Lorien sequence, including Galadriel's
      exchanges
      with Sam and Gimli and the gift-giving, is utterly crucial to
      setting
      up much of the rest of the novel, and it is simply thrown away
      in the
      movie. What happened to Aragorn's great scene in Bree ("If I
      was
      after the Ring, I could have it -- NOW")? To the full scope of

      Frodo's vision from the top of Amon Hen (the most beautifully
      written
      passage in the entire novel, if you ask me)? Missed
      opportunities...Instead we get meaningless battles between
      Gandalf
      and Saruman and between the Fellowship and a cave-troll. Many
      of the
      scenes that knock me out in The Two Towers, such as Pippin's
      glimpse
      at the palantir or Faramir's temptation, will probably be
      similarly
      bungled. I'll go to the next film expecting another train
      wreck.
      Mark

    • mark_r_harris
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
        Bill wrote:

        > As to Two Towers, I expext all the chars you mentioned will
        > be present.
        > Perhaps not as fully realized as in the book, but
        > since they
        > are such an intricate part of the plot, I can't imagine they
        > will be left out.

        Advantage Bill on this one. I checked the official LOTR movie
        website, which I hadn't looked at in months, and ascertained that
        there are actors listed for all those characters except Treebeard,
        whom I assume will be computer-generated. All the additional actors
        were *not* listed at the Internet Movie Database, which is generally
        a highly accurate source for information on upcoming movies; hence my
        lack of faith that the characters would appear. I quite agree that
        they are an intricate part of the plot, which is why I worried about
        them being cut. So I stand corrected, happily.

        Mark
      • michael_martinez2
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
          --- In mythsoc@y..., "mark_r_harris" <mark_r_harris@y...> wrote:
          > Advantage Bill on this one. I checked the official LOTR movie
          > website, which I hadn't looked at in months, and ascertained that
          > there are actors listed for all those characters except Treebeard,
          > whom I assume will be computer-generated. All the additional actors
          > were *not* listed at the Internet Movie Database, which is
          > generally a highly accurate source for information on upcoming
          > movies; hence my lack of faith that the characters would appear. I
          > quite agree that they are an intricate part of the plot, which is
          > why I worried about them being cut. So I stand corrected, happily.

          IMDB is just a glorified rumor mill that gets its information from
          visitor contributions, with occasional editorial correction or input.

          Treebeard will be in the movie. John Rhys-Davies is doing his voice.

          Apparently, the weekend before Christmas, Peter told reporters that
          more screen time would be devoted to "the king and his son" (as some
          reports put it). I have since seen conflicting explanations/reports
          which state that more time will be given to Denethor and Faramir
          (only Faramir appears in the second book) or to Theoden and Eomer.

          It appears that the biggest change will occur with Arwen. It remains
          to be scene whether her part in the movie -- as filmed -- makes the
          cut, but there are screen captures of her in Lothlorien with
          Galadriel and Celeborn on some Web sites. She also reportedly leads
          a company of Elves to Rohan with Haldir of Lothlorien.

          On the other hand, Ian McKellen said that she will not appear in
          Rohan before her marriage to Aragorn. But then, he also said (last
          year) that there would be no prologue to the movie, and he had to
          retract that claim in late November or early December, after he
          finally saw the movie for the first time.
        • cirhsein
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
            > I'll go to the next film expecting another train wreck.

            Very likely, then, that's exactly what you'll find.

            s&th
            cirhsein@...