Re: [mythsoc] Peter Jackson's Two Towers

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
      In a message dated 01/05/02 10:30:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      mark_r_harris@... writes:

      << What happened to Aragorn's great scene in Bree ("If I was
      after the Ring, I could have it -- NOW")? >>

      Oh yes! That's a winner. Thanks for the reminder.

      I haven't seen the movie yet. Prolly will eventually. But it won't be able
      to compare to the book. Consider it something completely different.

      Lizzie
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
        Haven't yet seen the movie, I'm going to give Jackson some
        slack.
        Most of my friends who have read the book have now seen the
        movie and were very favorable. The one cut part generally
        missed
        is Tom Bombadil, but as one friend put it, just how much can
        you
        fit into one movie?
        As to Two Towers, I expext all the chars you mentioned will
        be
        present.Perhaps not as fully realized as in the book, but
        since they
        are such an intricate part of the plot, I can't imagine they
        will be left out
        I have some thoughts on the Merry and Pippin discussion, but
        will save them
        until after I see the movie when I am on vacation in another
        week. I plan to
        catch LoTR and HP!

        mark_r_harris wrote:
        Hello! I'm new here, so I thought I would take the opportunity
        post a couple of comments I made on another Tolkien list.
        Here's the
        first:
        I am not hopeful about PJ's Two Towers. There is so much
        material in
        the last two books to introduce, I cannot imagine him taking
        all of
        it on. Fangorn, Rohan, and Gondor all involve the presentation
        of
        entirely new sets of characters. Does anyone seriously think
        that
        Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, and the rest of the
        key
        figures are all going to make the cut? I expect intense (and
        deleterious) streamlining.
        PJ's Fellowship fails for me because I think he has missed the
        heart
        of the book. The scenes I most looked forward to were missing
        or
        badly botched. The Lorien sequence, including Galadriel's
        exchanges
        with Sam and Gimli and the gift-giving, is utterly crucial to
        setting
        up much of the rest of the novel, and it is simply thrown away
        in the
        movie. What happened to Aragorn's great scene in Bree ("If I
        was
        after the Ring, I could have it -- NOW")? To the full scope of

        Frodo's vision from the top of Amon Hen (the most beautifully
        written
        passage in the entire novel, if you ask me)? Missed
        opportunities...Instead we get meaningless battles between
        Gandalf
        and Saruman and between the Fellowship and a cave-troll. Many
        of the
        scenes that knock me out in The Two Towers, such as Pippin's
        glimpse
        at the palantir or Faramir's temptation, will probably be
        similarly
        bungled. I'll go to the next film expecting another train
        wreck.
        Mark

      • mark_r_harris
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
          Bill wrote:

          > As to Two Towers, I expext all the chars you mentioned will
          > be present.
          > Perhaps not as fully realized as in the book, but
          > since they
          > are such an intricate part of the plot, I can't imagine they
          > will be left out.

          Advantage Bill on this one. I checked the official LOTR movie
          website, which I hadn't looked at in months, and ascertained that
          there are actors listed for all those characters except Treebeard,
          whom I assume will be computer-generated. All the additional actors
          were *not* listed at the Internet Movie Database, which is generally
          a highly accurate source for information on upcoming movies; hence my
          lack of faith that the characters would appear. I quite agree that
          they are an intricate part of the plot, which is why I worried about
          them being cut. So I stand corrected, happily.

          Mark
        • michael_martinez2
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
            --- In mythsoc@y..., "mark_r_harris" <mark_r_harris@y...> wrote:
            > Advantage Bill on this one. I checked the official LOTR movie
            > website, which I hadn't looked at in months, and ascertained that
            > there are actors listed for all those characters except Treebeard,
            > whom I assume will be computer-generated. All the additional actors
            > were *not* listed at the Internet Movie Database, which is
            > generally a highly accurate source for information on upcoming
            > movies; hence my lack of faith that the characters would appear. I
            > quite agree that they are an intricate part of the plot, which is
            > why I worried about them being cut. So I stand corrected, happily.

            IMDB is just a glorified rumor mill that gets its information from
            visitor contributions, with occasional editorial correction or input.

            Treebeard will be in the movie. John Rhys-Davies is doing his voice.

            Apparently, the weekend before Christmas, Peter told reporters that
            more screen time would be devoted to "the king and his son" (as some
            reports put it). I have since seen conflicting explanations/reports
            which state that more time will be given to Denethor and Faramir
            (only Faramir appears in the second book) or to Theoden and Eomer.

            It appears that the biggest change will occur with Arwen. It remains
            to be scene whether her part in the movie -- as filmed -- makes the
            cut, but there are screen captures of her in Lothlorien with
            Galadriel and Celeborn on some Web sites. She also reportedly leads
            a company of Elves to Rohan with Haldir of Lothlorien.

            On the other hand, Ian McKellen said that she will not appear in
            Rohan before her marriage to Aragorn. But then, he also said (last
            year) that there would be no prologue to the movie, and he had to
            retract that claim in late November or early December, after he
            finally saw the movie for the first time.
          • cirhsein
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
              > I'll go to the next film expecting another train wreck.

              Very likely, then, that's exactly what you'll find.

              s&th
              cirhsein@...