Ent Debates

  • mark_r_harris
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
      By the way, as a newcomer reading through the recent archives, I
      quite enjoyed the vigorous debate about "Hal's walking tree."
      Although the tome got a little personal in spots - I am coming to be
      of the mind that what Internet chat groups really need
      are "rhetorical umpires" to cry foul when ad hominem arguments and
      other fallacies are attempted - nonetheless, the discussion was
      textually based and ingeniously argued on both sides, and since I'm
      interested in Tolken as literature and not as pop-cult fantasy
      fodder, I love that sort of seriousness of approach.

      Mark
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
        mark_r_harris wrote:

        > am coming to be
        > of the mind that what Internet chat groups really need
        > are "rhetorical umpires" to cry foul when ad hominem arguments and
        > other fallacies are attempted

        On the Mythsoc list, members are invited to post their opinions, whether
        or not they are supported by the text. There are no "correctness" or
        "accuracy" checks, though other members may, of course, point out
        inaccuracies or inconsistencies.

        On the other topic, this is a "no flames" list, but unmoderated unless I
        take action. This means that members can post personal comments, but if
        I consider them flames, I either post a list warning or send a private
        warning (or both). Parties who do not heed warnings may find their posts
        moderated (meaning I have to read and approve them before they go to the
        list).

        I try to allow listmembers to self-regulate if at all possible, but I do
        step in if matters get out of hand.

        Joan
        Your friendly neighborhood Mythsoc list administrator
        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
          << nonetheless, the discussion was textually based and ingeniously argued on both sides, and since I'm interested in Tolken as literature and not as pop-cult fantasy fodder, I love that sort of seriousness of approach. Mark >>

          Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for Mythcon! We do that kind of discussion all the time. This year's is in Colorado. Consider saving up your shekels and coming. It's at the end of July. Our Web site will have more details: www.mythsoc.org.

          http://mail2web.com/ .