New York Times Ad

  • Mark Harris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2002
      There was a lovely full-page ad for LOTR in the New
      York Times on New Year's Day, picturing Frodo and
      Gandalf in Moria with this
      dialogue in large letters:

      Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me...I wish
      none of this had happened."

      Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but
      that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide
      is what to do with the time that is given us."

      Happy New Year from the Cast and Crew of "The Lord of
      the Rings"

      Since I have knocked the film hard in my public
      comments on it, let me
      freely admit that this scene, brilliantly performed by
      Wood and McKellen, really got to me. The lines are
      straight out of Tolkien, of course, and the scene was
      made long before September 11; yet it is quite
      impossible for anyone watching the film not to feel
      the intense relevance of this exchange to our own
      situation. (Think also of Gildor's line to Frodo,
      sadly not in the film: "The wide world is all about
      you: you can fence
      yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.")
      Tolkien disliked allegory but
      had nothing against *applicability*, and
      unquestionably LOTR offers insights that are of
      continuing use in both public and private life. That
      is part of what elevates it to classic status.

      Mark

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/