Peter Jackson's Two Towers

  • mark_r_harris
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
      Hello! I'm new here, so I thought I would take the opportunity to
      post a couple of comments I made on another Tolkien list. Here's the
      first:

      I am not hopeful about PJ's Two Towers. There is so much material in
      the last two books to introduce, I cannot imagine him taking all of
      it on. Fangorn, Rohan, and Gondor all involve the presentation of
      entirely new sets of characters. Does anyone seriously think that
      Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, and the rest of the key
      figures are all going to make the cut? I expect intense (and
      deleterious) streamlining.

      PJ's Fellowship fails for me because I think he has missed the heart
      of the book. The scenes I most looked forward to were missing or
      badly botched. The Lorien sequence, including Galadriel's exchanges
      with Sam and Gimli and the gift-giving, is utterly crucial to setting
      up much of the rest of the novel, and it is simply thrown away in the
      movie. What happened to Aragorn's great scene in Bree ("If I was
      after the Ring, I could have it -- NOW")? To the full scope of
      Frodo's vision from the top of Amon Hen (the most beautifully written
      passage in the entire novel, if you ask me)? Missed
      opportunities...Instead we get meaningless battles between Gandalf
      and Saruman and between the Fellowship and a cave-troll. Many of the
      scenes that knock me out in The Two Towers, such as Pippin's glimpse
      at the palantir or Faramir's temptation, will probably be similarly
      bungled. I'll go to the next film expecting another train wreck.

      Mark
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
        In a message dated 01/05/02 10:30:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        mark_r_harris@... writes:

        << What happened to Aragorn's great scene in Bree ("If I was
        after the Ring, I could have it -- NOW")? >>

        Oh yes! That's a winner. Thanks for the reminder.

        I haven't seen the movie yet. Prolly will eventually. But it won't be able
        to compare to the book. Consider it something completely different.

        Lizzie
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
          Haven't yet seen the movie, I'm going to give Jackson some
          slack.
          Most of my friends who have read the book have now seen the
          movie and were very favorable. The one cut part generally
          missed
          is Tom Bombadil, but as one friend put it, just how much can
          you
          fit into one movie?
          As to Two Towers, I expext all the chars you mentioned will
          be
          present.Perhaps not as fully realized as in the book, but
          since they
          are such an intricate part of the plot, I can't imagine they
          will be left out
          I have some thoughts on the Merry and Pippin discussion, but
          will save them
          until after I see the movie when I am on vacation in another
          week. I plan to
          catch LoTR and HP!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2002
            Bill wrote:

            > As to Two Towers, I expext all the chars you mentioned will
            > be present.
            > Perhaps not as fully realized as in the book, but
            > since they
            > are such an intricate part of the plot, I can't imagine they
            > will be left out.

            Advantage Bill on this one. I checked the official LOTR movie
            website, which I hadn't looked at in months, and ascertained that
            there are actors listed for all those characters except Treebeard,
            whom I assume will be computer-generated. All the additional actors
            were *not* listed at the Internet Movie Database, which is generally
            a highly accurate source for information on upcoming movies; hence my
            lack of faith that the characters would appear. I quite agree that
            they are an intricate part of the plot, which is why I worried about
            them being cut. So I stand corrected, happily.

            Mark
          • michael_martinez2
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2002
              --- In mythsoc@y..., "mark_r_harris" <mark_r_harris@y...> wrote:
              > Advantage Bill on this one. I checked the official LOTR movie
              > website, which I hadn't looked at in months, and ascertained that
              > there are actors listed for all those characters except Treebeard,
              > whom I assume will be computer-generated. All the additional actors
              > were *not* listed at the Internet Movie Database, which is
              > generally a highly accurate source for information on upcoming
              > movies; hence my lack of faith that the characters would appear. I
              > quite agree that they are an intricate part of the plot, which is
              > why I worried about them being cut. So I stand corrected, happily.

              IMDB is just a glorified rumor mill that gets its information from
              visitor contributions, with occasional editorial correction or input.

              Treebeard will be in the movie. John Rhys-Davies is doing his voice.

              Apparently, the weekend before Christmas, Peter told reporters that
              more screen time would be devoted to "the king and his son" (as some
              reports put it). I have since seen conflicting explanations/reports
              which state that more time will be given to Denethor and Faramir
              (only Faramir appears in the second book) or to Theoden and Eomer.

              It appears that the biggest change will occur with Arwen. It remains
              to be scene whether her part in the movie -- as filmed -- makes the
              cut, but there are screen captures of her in Lothlorien with
              Galadriel and Celeborn on some Web sites. She also reportedly leads
              a company of Elves to Rohan with Haldir of Lothlorien.

              On the other hand, Ian McKellen said that she will not appear in
              Rohan before her marriage to Aragorn. But then, he also said (last
              year) that there would be no prologue to the movie, and he had to
              retract that claim in late November or early December, after he
              finally saw the movie for the first time.
            • cirhsein
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
                > I'll go to the next film expecting another train wreck.

                Very likely, then, that's exactly what you'll find.

                s&th
                cirhsein@...