Re: Middle Earth Music

  • David J Finnamore
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
      Diamond Proudbrook wrote:

      > What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?

      Atlanta-based prog-rock band, long associated with the fantasy crowd there. I became aware of them when they played at Dragon Con in 1996. Their Middle-earth songs have some really nice moments here and there. Until the drums and synthesizer pads kick in. I file them somewhere between Styx, old Genesis, and Mannheim Steamroller. Not as melodramatic as Styx (who is? :), not as British as Genesis, often somewhat more rock than Mannheim Steamroller. They often come up with excellent
      little melodic themes. Personally, I can't get past the New Agey pads and pop-rock drums - nothing is further from Middle-earth for me. A few mp3s are available on their site.
      http://www.glasshammer.com/index2.html

      > Folkish and veird,

      Hee hee, me too.

      --
      David J. Finnamore
      Nashville, TN, USA
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
        Should mention that David Arkenstone, a New Age musician, has
        a cd out,
        "Music Inspired By Middle Earth" that I purchased today at the
        Borders I
        work at after listening to a few cuts on the "listening post"
        it was on.
        If you have a Borders Books in your area, you can give it a
        listen for
        yourself.
        Try Track 7, "Riders of Rohan". I can see them in my minds
        eye
        riding to this.