Re: Digest Number 83

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 1999
      Donander Evre [ninzian@...] wrote:
      > I stand by my previous statements: I think the Narnia books are
      > brilliant. I find the portrayal of active women with sexual signifiers
      > (if you will) personally ... not offensive, but disappointing.

      Well, we've had both positions put forward -- but all lacking any
      corroborative evidence. However, the 'Narnia is not sexual' position would
      have a hard time putting forth evidence to prove the negative hypothesis, so I
      think it's time to put forward the evidence from Narnia that proves that the
      characters have sexual signifiers. Otherwsie we have a lot of assertions
      without any actual texts to support those assertions. And it is, of course,
      the duty of the other side to consider those texts and show how they don't
      work in the way asserted.

      That is, of course, if folks are willing. We *could* go back to whining about
      the new LOTR movie, instead <g>.

      matt
      (wondering if Jim Carey as Gollum would actually be an improvement at this
      point)

      "I want to overhear passionate arguments about what we are and what we are
      doing and what we ought to do. I want to feel that art is an utterance made
      in good faith by one human being to another. I want to believe there are
      geniuses scheming to astonish the rest of us, just for the pleasure of it.
      I miss civilization, and I want it back."
      --Marilynne Robinson
      Currently reading: The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany