Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 783

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      From: Steve Schaper
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 4:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 783

      >> Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 09:45:43 EST
      >> From: Stolzi@...
      >> Subject: LOTR and all that
      >>

      >> I think the part I disliked most was the sequence where we had the unlikely
      >> encounter in the tall maize fields (Farmer Maggot grew maize!?) of the four
      >> hobbits, immediately followed (or preceded, I forget) by a slam-wham-endless
      >> wizards' battle.

      >I suppose the Numenoreans could have brought it over, but then I'd expect something more like one of the many varieties of "indian corn" not 3780. . .

      Since the maize was growing within the borders of the Shire, I assume the hobbits got it from the same source as their potatoes--considering at that time in history potatoes were very small ancestors of the vegetable we know today, and were grown only in the valleys of the Andes (actually, at _that_ time in history, I'm not sure they'd even been domesticated yet). Potatoes first arrived in Europe in the 1500's A.D. Maybe hobbits did have some magic about them, after all! -- Trudy

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
        tgshaw@... writes:

        > potatoes were very small ancestors of the vegetable we know today,

        Small potatoes, huh, Trudy? :)

        Which I'm cooking Yukon Golds these days - and this bag of spuds not only has
        golden flesh and skin (The Potatoes of Lothlorien?) but =reddish pink=
        coloration in spots around the eyes...

        Diamond Proudbrook