Re: [mythsoc] Middle Earth Music

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2002
      Found a rather entertaining bio page from Denmark which says

      "the more folk-ish and veird songs (mainly Hobbit-, Dwarven- & Bombadil
      songs) are composed by Peter Hall. "

      It also says Peter Hall, a guitarist, worked with the "world-famous singer
      Peter Pearce."

      Not nearly as world-famous as Peter Pears :)

      There's a thoughtful review of the Tolkien Ensemble's album at

      http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1001784532

      And at another site we learn that Queen Margrethe did some "smukke
      illustrationer" for LOTR :)

      What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?
      Interestingly, they appear to be carrying out one of Tolkien's wishes - that
      other artists would take up the world he has created and create other aspects
      of it. Interestingly too for Mythsoc, they also have Lewis influences on
      some of their albums.

      Folkish and veird,

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • David J Finnamore
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
        Diamond Proudbrook wrote:

        > What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?

        Atlanta-based prog-rock band, long associated with the fantasy crowd there. I became aware of them when they played at Dragon Con in 1996. Their Middle-earth songs have some really nice moments here and there. Until the drums and synthesizer pads kick in. I file them somewhere between Styx, old Genesis, and Mannheim Steamroller. Not as melodramatic as Styx (who is? :), not as British as Genesis, often somewhat more rock than Mannheim Steamroller. They often come up with excellent
        little melodic themes. Personally, I can't get past the New Agey pads and pop-rock drums - nothing is further from Middle-earth for me. A few mp3s are available on their site.
        http://www.glasshammer.com/index2.html

        > Folkish and veird,

        Hee hee, me too.

        --
        David J. Finnamore
        Nashville, TN, USA
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
          Should mention that David Arkenstone, a New Age musician, has
          a cd out,
          "Music Inspired By Middle Earth" that I purchased today at the
          Borders I
          work at after listening to a few cuts on the "listening post"
          it was on.
          If you have a Borders Books in your area, you can give it a
          listen for
          yourself.
          Try Track 7, "Riders of Rohan". I can see them in my minds
          eye
          riding to this.