Re: [mythsoc] Middle Earth Music

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
      Bruce H wrote:

      >>Illustrations, tiny versions of what look to be some extraordinarily good
      >>LOTR illustrations by HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark.
      >
      >Any idea where I could find copies of the Queen's work online? I've tried
      >Google and Yahoo to no avail.

      You shouldn't find them online, unless posted with the permission of the
      Folio Society, who appear to own the copyright to them. Enthralled with
      _The Lord of the Rings_, Queen Margrethe made a series of illustrations for
      it (some of the originals can be seen in the Landseer documentary on
      Tolkien, 1992). These were redrawn by professional artist Eric Fraser, and
      published (as by "Ingahild Grathmer, drawn by Eric Fraser") in the Folio
      Society edition of 1977, as well as in the 1977 Forum edition of LR in
      Danish. The Folio Society edition is still in print. Some of these superb
      illustrations are reproduced also in _Eric Fraser, Designer & Illustrator_
      by Sylvia Backemeyer (1998).

      Wayne Hammond
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2002
        Found a rather entertaining bio page from Denmark which says

        "the more folk-ish and veird songs (mainly Hobbit-, Dwarven- & Bombadil
        songs) are composed by Peter Hall. "

        It also says Peter Hall, a guitarist, worked with the "world-famous singer
        Peter Pearce."

        Not nearly as world-famous as Peter Pears :)

        There's a thoughtful review of the Tolkien Ensemble's album at

        http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1001784532

        And at another site we learn that Queen Margrethe did some "smukke
        illustrationer" for LOTR :)

        What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?
        Interestingly, they appear to be carrying out one of Tolkien's wishes - that
        other artists would take up the world he has created and create other aspects
        of it. Interestingly too for Mythsoc, they also have Lewis influences on
        some of their albums.

        Folkish and veird,

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • David J Finnamore
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
          Diamond Proudbrook wrote:

          > What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?

          Atlanta-based prog-rock band, long associated with the fantasy crowd there. I became aware of them when they played at Dragon Con in 1996. Their Middle-earth songs have some really nice moments here and there. Until the drums and synthesizer pads kick in. I file them somewhere between Styx, old Genesis, and Mannheim Steamroller. Not as melodramatic as Styx (who is? :), not as British as Genesis, often somewhat more rock than Mannheim Steamroller. They often come up with excellent
          little melodic themes. Personally, I can't get past the New Agey pads and pop-rock drums - nothing is further from Middle-earth for me. A few mp3s are available on their site.
          http://www.glasshammer.com/index2.html

          > Folkish and veird,

          Hee hee, me too.

          --
          David J. Finnamore
          Nashville, TN, USA
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
            Should mention that David Arkenstone, a New Age musician, has
            a cd out,
            "Music Inspired By Middle Earth" that I purchased today at the
            Borders I
            work at after listening to a few cuts on the "listening post"
            it was on.
            If you have a Borders Books in your area, you can give it a
            listen for
            yourself.
            Try Track 7, "Riders of Rohan". I can see them in my minds
            eye
            riding to this.