Re: Way to go

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 1999
      Mary wrote:

      >Does anyone still have on file the directions for reaching Wheaton and
      >Wheaton College, from last year?
      >
      >Our party plans to return south through Chicago but with a diversion to
      >Wheaton to visit the Wade Collection, which some of us have not seen. I
      >still have my Mythcon program with the map of the campus and location of the
      >library, but don't seem to have the initial "how to reach the Con site"
      >publication.

      If you're driving down from Milwaukee, take 94 from Milwaukee, then 294
      when it branches off in Chicago. Stay on 294 until the exit for rte 88 west
      toward Aurora. Take 88 to the Naperville Road exit, then Naperville Road
      north (a left turn at the traffic light after the exit, if I recall
      correctly). Turn right on Roosevelt Road (rte 38, I think), then almost
      immediately left on Washington. Washington will take you onto the Wheaton
      College campus. Park in one of the marked visitor spaces in the lot behind
      the Library, or wherever visitor parking is available on campus.

      At least, this is the way my wife and I drove there recently. There are
      other routes. Rte 94 has a lot of construction going on now, at the
      Milwaukee and Chicago ends, but this didn't delay us much.

      Note that the Wheaton College Library is presently undergoing renovation,
      and most of the building is closed. The Wade Center, however, is open for
      business (Mon.-Fri., 9-12 and 1-4). But anyone wishing to do work there
      should get in touch with the Center first, as they will be short-staffed
      during the Mythcon/Breemoot period.

      I might also note that there will be only another year or so for visitors
      to see the Wade in its present quarters. They are just finishing plans for
      a building of their own, to be built very near to the Library, and hope to
      move in sometime next year. I've seen the plans, and they look splendid.
      There will be increased and improved reading space and a museum area.

      Wayne Hammond