Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 780

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2001
      > Message: 11
      > Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:16:25 EST
      > From: WendellWag@...
      > Subject: Re: Re: More JRRT items
      >

      > Is it really true that the same people who are condemning Rowling's books are
      > praising Tolkien's?

      Some of the same. I have some friends like that. I gave them LoTR for their wedding present, and they love the book, but they think HP is evil, having never read it, because her father read an article that says it is evil. Bizarre.

      > I think you err by assuming that there's a single unified Christian
      > press.

      One would also err if one thought that said press represented good scholarly evangelical theology.

      > Message: 14
      > Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 04:37:54 -0000
      > From: "michael_martinez2" <michael@...>
      > Subject: Re: More JRRT items

      > Focus on the Family ( http://www.family.org/pplace/pi/magic/ ) "has
      > been studying HARRY POTTER and its surrounding issues ever since J.K.
      > Rowling's first book found its way into a child's hand and began to
      > spark a renewed cultural interest in fantasy, mysticism and magic."

      Allegedly. The work on HP on their site is abysmal. If only they'd hired me last June.

      > The spiritual forces of darkness have proven to be very adept at
      > using the Bible, as anyone who recalls David Koresh and Jim Jones
      > quickly recognizes.

      Misuses would be the term, and Jones was a liberal United Methodist, doubt he placed much credence at all in the Bible, based on my experience growing up in that denomination. It just isn't where they are at. IIRC, he was more into pop psych of that era, as was Synanon.

      > Message: 21
      > Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 09:30:37 -0000
      > From: "michael_martinez2" <michael@...>
      > Subject: Re: More JRRT items
      >

      > What is the point of drawing comparisons between Tolkien's characters
      > and people in the Bible?

      Beats me.

      > Tolkien denied any deliberate allegory, and
      > if he appreciated the archetypes in the Biblical stories enough to be
      > influenced by them, does that move the fiction closer to whatever it
      > is that such comparisons strive to achieve?

      Well, he knew the archetypes well indeed, of course, but he didn't desire to write an allegory, as I think we all know. But there is much that is, as he wrote 'applicable' in the fashion that a parable is applicable, though not in the same genre as Jesus' parables, yet there is similar intent, in addition to the intent to entertain, develop stories from the mythology, etc.

      "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future."
      Robert Anson Heinlein

      http://www.users.qwest.net/~sschaper/
      sschaper@...