Re: [mythsoc] Middle Earth Music

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
      On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 11:46:44AM -0500, Bruce H wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Has anybody ever listened to Blind Guardian's, "Nightfall in Middle
      > Earth?" It seems largely based on the events of, "The Silmarillion," and
      > the style of the music is usually described as Heavy Metal but I love it.
      > My favorite tracks are: Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns), The Eldar, Nightfall
      > in Middle Earth and When Sorrow Sang. Middle Earth Music seems to fall into
      > two broad categories; instrumental and vocal. Is there any other good vocal
      > music? I don't really count Enya's work because it is not really about the
      > plot etc.

      I haven't listened to the above, but we have an album in our collection
      called "The End of the Ring Wars" by Appleseed Cast that treats on the
      themes of loss and change from the end of LOTR. It is vocal (there are
      lyrics) and if you like the style, which is emo, it's quite good.
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
        Well, I just got home to open a late Christmas present:

        A NIGHT IN RIVENDELL and AN EVENING IN RIVENDELL

        Music by Caspar Reiff and Peter Hall

        Performances by composers Hall & Reiff and assorted Tolkien Ensemble, mostly
        Danes.

        Illustrations, tiny versions of what look to be some extraordinarily good
        LOTR illustrations by HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark.

        The music is a bit sad in tone, I think, but technically accomplished and
        covers a =lot= of the verses and songs in the book.

        Anyone else know this work and can comment on it more knowledgeably?

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Bruce H
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
          At 01:07 PM 12/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >Well, I just got home to open a late Christmas present:
          >
          >A NIGHT IN RIVENDELL and AN EVENING IN RIVENDELL
          >
          >Music by Caspar Reiff and Peter Hall
          >
          >Performances by composers Hall & Reiff and assorted Tolkien Ensemble, mostly
          >Danes.
          >
          >Illustrations, tiny versions of what look to be some extraordinarily good
          >LOTR illustrations by HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark.

          Any idea where I could find copies of the Queen's work online? I've tried
          Google and Yahoo to no avail.
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
            In a message dated 12/31/01 1:04:54 PM Central Standard Time,
            caesarca@... writes:

            > Any idea where I could find copies of the Queen's work online? I've tried
            > Google and Yahoo to no avail.

            Hey, it's as much as the Lord Chamberlain's life is worth to let any dastard
            interfere with the Queen's copyright! :) [and yes, the Lord Chamberlain
            is mentioned in the acknowledgments on this CD set.

            Her illustrations were used in one or more editions of the books, and I think
            they're quite good.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
              Bruce H wrote:

              >>Illustrations, tiny versions of what look to be some extraordinarily good
              >>LOTR illustrations by HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark.
              >
              >Any idea where I could find copies of the Queen's work online? I've tried
              >Google and Yahoo to no avail.

              You shouldn't find them online, unless posted with the permission of the
              Folio Society, who appear to own the copyright to them. Enthralled with
              _The Lord of the Rings_, Queen Margrethe made a series of illustrations for
              it (some of the originals can be seen in the Landseer documentary on
              Tolkien, 1992). These were redrawn by professional artist Eric Fraser, and
              published (as by "Ingahild Grathmer, drawn by Eric Fraser") in the Folio
              Society edition of 1977, as well as in the 1977 Forum edition of LR in
              Danish. The Folio Society edition is still in print. Some of these superb
              illustrations are reproduced also in _Eric Fraser, Designer & Illustrator_
              by Sylvia Backemeyer (1998).

              Wayne Hammond
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2002
                Found a rather entertaining bio page from Denmark which says

                "the more folk-ish and veird songs (mainly Hobbit-, Dwarven- & Bombadil
                songs) are composed by Peter Hall. "

                It also says Peter Hall, a guitarist, worked with the "world-famous singer
                Peter Pearce."

                Not nearly as world-famous as Peter Pears :)

                There's a thoughtful review of the Tolkien Ensemble's album at

                http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1001784532

                And at another site we learn that Queen Margrethe did some "smukke
                illustrationer" for LOTR :)

                What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?
                Interestingly, they appear to be carrying out one of Tolkien's wishes - that
                other artists would take up the world he has created and create other aspects
                of it. Interestingly too for Mythsoc, they also have Lewis influences on
                some of their albums.

                Folkish and veird,

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • David J Finnamore
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
                  Diamond Proudbrook wrote:

                  > What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?

                  Atlanta-based prog-rock band, long associated with the fantasy crowd there. I became aware of them when they played at Dragon Con in 1996. Their Middle-earth songs have some really nice moments here and there. Until the drums and synthesizer pads kick in. I file them somewhere between Styx, old Genesis, and Mannheim Steamroller. Not as melodramatic as Styx (who is? :), not as British as Genesis, often somewhat more rock than Mannheim Steamroller. They often come up with excellent
                  little melodic themes. Personally, I can't get past the New Agey pads and pop-rock drums - nothing is further from Middle-earth for me. A few mp3s are available on their site.
                  http://www.glasshammer.com/index2.html

                  > Folkish and veird,

                  Hee hee, me too.

                  --
                  David J. Finnamore
                  Nashville, TN, USA
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
                    Should mention that David Arkenstone, a New Age musician, has
                    a cd out,
                    "Music Inspired By Middle Earth" that I purchased today at the
                    Borders I
                    work at after listening to a few cuts on the "listening post"
                    it was on.
                    If you have a Borders Books in your area, you can give it a
                    listen for
                    yourself.
                    Try Track 7, "Riders of Rohan". I can see them in my minds
                    eye
                    riding to this.