Middle Earth Music

  • Bruce H
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
      Hi,

      Has anybody ever listened to Blind Guardian's, "Nightfall in Middle
      Earth?" It seems largely based on the events of, "The Silmarillion," and
      the style of the music is usually described as Heavy Metal but I love it.
      My favorite tracks are: Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns), The Eldar, Nightfall
      in Middle Earth and When Sorrow Sang. Middle Earth Music seems to fall into
      two broad categories; instrumental and vocal. Is there any other good vocal
      music? I don't really count Enya's work because it is not really about the
      plot etc.
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
        On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 11:46:44AM -0500, Bruce H wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Has anybody ever listened to Blind Guardian's, "Nightfall in Middle
        > Earth?" It seems largely based on the events of, "The Silmarillion," and
        > the style of the music is usually described as Heavy Metal but I love it.
        > My favorite tracks are: Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns), The Eldar, Nightfall
        > in Middle Earth and When Sorrow Sang. Middle Earth Music seems to fall into
        > two broad categories; instrumental and vocal. Is there any other good vocal
        > music? I don't really count Enya's work because it is not really about the
        > plot etc.

        I haven't listened to the above, but we have an album in our collection
        called "The End of the Ring Wars" by Appleseed Cast that treats on the
        themes of loss and change from the end of LOTR. It is vocal (there are
        lyrics) and if you like the style, which is emo, it's quite good.
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
          Well, I just got home to open a late Christmas present:

          A NIGHT IN RIVENDELL and AN EVENING IN RIVENDELL

          Music by Caspar Reiff and Peter Hall

          Performances by composers Hall & Reiff and assorted Tolkien Ensemble, mostly
          Danes.

          Illustrations, tiny versions of what look to be some extraordinarily good
          LOTR illustrations by HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark.

          The music is a bit sad in tone, I think, but technically accomplished and
          covers a =lot= of the verses and songs in the book.

          Anyone else know this work and can comment on it more knowledgeably?

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Bruce H
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
            At 01:07 PM 12/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
            >Well, I just got home to open a late Christmas present:
            >
            >A NIGHT IN RIVENDELL and AN EVENING IN RIVENDELL
            >
            >Music by Caspar Reiff and Peter Hall
            >
            >Performances by composers Hall & Reiff and assorted Tolkien Ensemble, mostly
            >Danes.
            >
            >Illustrations, tiny versions of what look to be some extraordinarily good
            >LOTR illustrations by HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark.

            Any idea where I could find copies of the Queen's work online? I've tried
            Google and Yahoo to no avail.
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
              In a message dated 12/31/01 1:04:54 PM Central Standard Time,
              caesarca@... writes:

              > Any idea where I could find copies of the Queen's work online? I've tried
              > Google and Yahoo to no avail.

              Hey, it's as much as the Lord Chamberlain's life is worth to let any dastard
              interfere with the Queen's copyright! :) [and yes, the Lord Chamberlain
              is mentioned in the acknowledgments on this CD set.

              Her illustrations were used in one or more editions of the books, and I think
              they're quite good.

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
                Bruce H wrote:

                >>Illustrations, tiny versions of what look to be some extraordinarily good
                >>LOTR illustrations by HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark.
                >
                >Any idea where I could find copies of the Queen's work online? I've tried
                >Google and Yahoo to no avail.

                You shouldn't find them online, unless posted with the permission of the
                Folio Society, who appear to own the copyright to them. Enthralled with
                _The Lord of the Rings_, Queen Margrethe made a series of illustrations for
                it (some of the originals can be seen in the Landseer documentary on
                Tolkien, 1992). These were redrawn by professional artist Eric Fraser, and
                published (as by "Ingahild Grathmer, drawn by Eric Fraser") in the Folio
                Society edition of 1977, as well as in the 1977 Forum edition of LR in
                Danish. The Folio Society edition is still in print. Some of these superb
                illustrations are reproduced also in _Eric Fraser, Designer & Illustrator_
                by Sylvia Backemeyer (1998).

                Wayne Hammond
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2002
                  Found a rather entertaining bio page from Denmark which says

                  "the more folk-ish and veird songs (mainly Hobbit-, Dwarven- & Bombadil
                  songs) are composed by Peter Hall. "

                  It also says Peter Hall, a guitarist, worked with the "world-famous singer
                  Peter Pearce."

                  Not nearly as world-famous as Peter Pears :)

                  There's a thoughtful review of the Tolkien Ensemble's album at

                  http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1001784532

                  And at another site we learn that Queen Margrethe did some "smukke
                  illustrationer" for LOTR :)

                  What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?
                  Interestingly, they appear to be carrying out one of Tolkien's wishes - that
                  other artists would take up the world he has created and create other aspects
                  of it. Interestingly too for Mythsoc, they also have Lewis influences on
                  some of their albums.

                  Folkish and veird,

                  Diamond Proudbrook
                • David J Finnamore
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
                    Diamond Proudbrook wrote:

                    > What does anybody know about the other group reviewed, GLASS HAMMER?

                    Atlanta-based prog-rock band, long associated with the fantasy crowd there. I became aware of them when they played at Dragon Con in 1996. Their Middle-earth songs have some really nice moments here and there. Until the drums and synthesizer pads kick in. I file them somewhere between Styx, old Genesis, and Mannheim Steamroller. Not as melodramatic as Styx (who is? :), not as British as Genesis, often somewhat more rock than Mannheim Steamroller. They often come up with excellent
                    little melodic themes. Personally, I can't get past the New Agey pads and pop-rock drums - nothing is further from Middle-earth for me. A few mp3s are available on their site.
                    http://www.glasshammer.com/index2.html

                    > Folkish and veird,

                    Hee hee, me too.

                    --
                    David J. Finnamore
                    Nashville, TN, USA
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 3, 2002
                      Should mention that David Arkenstone, a New Age musician, has
                      a cd out,
                      "Music Inspired By Middle Earth" that I purchased today at the
                      Borders I
                      work at after listening to a few cuts on the "listening post"
                      it was on.
                      If you have a Borders Books in your area, you can give it a
                      listen for
                      yourself.
                      Try Track 7, "Riders of Rohan". I can see them in my minds
                      eye
                      riding to this.