Re: [mythsoc] The 'Ring' around the collar

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2001
      Completing my thought

      And LORD have mercy, Ted, I hope you could frame your thoughts in better
      prose than this author's:

      "You are neither hammered with nor even privy to anything the members on the
      page aren’t. "

      DP
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2001
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2001
          In a message dated 12/30/01 8:49:57 PM Central Standard Time,
          tgshaw@... writes:

          > But to have these disappointments completely ruin for me a movie that I've
          > enjoyed quite a bit as an entity in itself

          I think the most effective means I've found for enjoying the film, is to
          assume that the movie is made from the story of these events as preserved NOT
          in the Red Book of Westmarch by the Hobbits, but by some other group, perhaps
          a group of Men living isolated off in the eastern or northern wilds, which
          has a different oral tradition. (Or maybe even a group of Men on a far isle,
          reached only by seafaring - can someone come up with a Quenya, Sindarin, or
          Westron name for New Zealand!? and a myth of how these Men got there?)

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • David J Finnamore
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
            The Lady Proudbrook wrote:

            > I think the most effective means I've found for enjoying the film, is to
            > assume that the movie is made from the story of these events as preserved NOT
            > in the Red Book of Westmarch by the Hobbits, but by some other group, perhaps
            > a group of Men living isolated off in the eastern or northern wilds, which
            > has a different oral tradition. (Or maybe even a group of Men on a far isle,

            Maybe from a land somewhere south of Mt. Shasta and north of the Baja wastes? A land of industrial light and magic. Men led by the mighty Kings of Burger, for whom the tale grows more violent in the telling.

            Sorry, couldn't resist. Like Matt, I really did enjoy it much more the second time and will likely go again. I'm looking forward to the next two.

            --
            David J. Finnamore
            Nashville, TN, USA