Re: [mythsoc] The 'Ring' around the collar

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2001
      In a message dated 12/30/01 6:46:52 PM Central Standard Time,
      tedsherman@... writes:

      > <A HREF=" http://www.msnbc.com/news/674933.asp?0dm=L26QL">
      http://www.msnbc.com/news/674933.asp?0dm=L26QL</A>

      Well, but this isn't quite fair

      "Sam, who in the book feels a stirring duty to see the quest through, whines
      here to go home. "

      He did want to go home in the book, as I recall, more than once.

      And LORD have mercy, Ted, I hope you could frame your thoughts in better
      prose than this author's:

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2001
        Completing my thought

        And LORD have mercy, Ted, I hope you could frame your thoughts in better
        prose than this author's:

        "You are neither hammered with nor even privy to anything the members on the
        page aren’t. "

        DP
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2001
            In a message dated 12/30/01 8:49:57 PM Central Standard Time,
            tgshaw@... writes:

            > But to have these disappointments completely ruin for me a movie that I've
            > enjoyed quite a bit as an entity in itself

            I think the most effective means I've found for enjoying the film, is to
            assume that the movie is made from the story of these events as preserved NOT
            in the Red Book of Westmarch by the Hobbits, but by some other group, perhaps
            a group of Men living isolated off in the eastern or northern wilds, which
            has a different oral tradition. (Or maybe even a group of Men on a far isle,
            reached only by seafaring - can someone come up with a Quenya, Sindarin, or
            Westron name for New Zealand!? and a myth of how these Men got there?)

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • David J Finnamore
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2002
              The Lady Proudbrook wrote:

              > I think the most effective means I've found for enjoying the film, is to
              > assume that the movie is made from the story of these events as preserved NOT
              > in the Red Book of Westmarch by the Hobbits, but by some other group, perhaps
              > a group of Men living isolated off in the eastern or northern wilds, which
              > has a different oral tradition. (Or maybe even a group of Men on a far isle,

              Maybe from a land somewhere south of Mt. Shasta and north of the Baja wastes? A land of industrial light and magic. Men led by the mighty Kings of Burger, for whom the tale grows more violent in the telling.

              Sorry, couldn't resist. Like Matt, I really did enjoy it much more the second time and will likely go again. I'm looking forward to the next two.

              --
              David J. Finnamore
              Nashville, TN, USA