Re: [mythsoc] Re: More JRRT items

    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 30, 2001
      In a message dated 12/26/2001 6:19:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      michael@... writes:

      I think that we've now reached the point where the argument is about the
      meaning of the word "abound." It sounds to me from Michael's summary that
      about half the chapters involve the use of spellcasting, and most of those
      chapters only have a couple of instances of it. Those who are arguing for
      the relative rarity of magic are specifically disallowing mere mentions of
      magic and the use of magical items which were given their magical powers some
      point in the past. Does this make the LOTR "abound" in magic? I think
      there's no point in arguing what the word means.

      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 31, 2001
        In a message dated 12/31/2001 12:12:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        Stolzi@... writes:

        > Could you have enclosed the quoted words in brackets <> causing AOL or
        > Yahoo perhaps to think they are HTML code and leave them out?

        Thanks for the suggestion, but I've never used brackets in my messages. I
        use AOL 7.0 and Windows 98 and somehow this interacts with Yahoo mailing
        lists so that occasionally when I quote a message (by highlighting it with
        the right mouse button and hitting "Reply", causing it to be quoted in my
        message), it looks all right in the message when I send it. However, in the
        message that's actually received by the members of the mailing list, some or
        all of the quoted words have disappeared.