One OS to rule them all

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2001
      Posted to MacMarines list:

      Recently one of my friends, a computer wizard, paid me a visit. As we
      were talking I mentioned that I had recently installed Windows XP on my
      PC. I told him how happy I was with this operating system and showed
      him the Windows XP CD. To my surprise he threw it into my microwave
      oven and turned it on.

      Instantly I got very upset, because the CD had become precious to me,
      but
      he said: 'Do not worry, it is unharmed.'

      After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and said: 'Take a
      close look at it.'

      To my surprise the CD was quite cold to hold and it seemed to be heavier
      than before. At first I could not see anything, but on the inner edge
      of
      the central hole I saw an inscription, an inscription finer than
      anything
      I had ever seen before. The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet
      remote, as if out of a great depth:

      12413AEB2ED4FA5E6F7D78E78BEDE820945092OF923A40EElOE5 I OCC98D444AA08EI
      324

      'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said in a timid voice.

      'No but I can,' he said. 'The letters are Hex, of an ancient mode, but
      the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here. But in
      common English this is what it says:

      One OS to rule them all, One OS to find them, One OS to bring them all
      and in the darkness bind them.

      It is only two lines from a verse long known in System-lore:

      "Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
      Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
      Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
      One from the Dark Lord Gates on his dark throne
      In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.