Re: [mythsoc] MythSoc web site - Tolkien's inscription

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2001
      On 12/26/01 7:09 PM, "Margaret Dean" <margdean@...> wrote:

      > Edith Louise Crowe wrote:
      >>
      >> Can any of you linguistically oriented folks help this couple out?
      >
      > If what they want is English transcribed into Tengwar, I worked
      > out a phonemic "mode" for English years ago and would be happy to
      > help out, if that would suit. If they want their inscription
      > translated into either Quenya or Sindarin, they'll have to ask
      > one of the better-studied Tolkien linguists. (Carl?) Tolkien

      Thanks for thinking of me, but I have no time to spend on this sort of
      thing, especially not at the moment (working on a new issue of _Vinyar
      Tengwar_, and with the holidays upon us, etc.).

      It seems to me that given the importance this couple places on their
      wedding-ring inscriptions, they ought really to have thought about this and
      sought help long, long ago: certainly long before just one month before
      their wedding!

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |