Way to go

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 25, 1999
      Does anyone still have on file the directions for reaching Wheaton and
      Wheaton College, from last year?

      Our party plans to return south through Chicago but with a diversion to
      Wheaton to visit the Wade Collection, which some of us have not seen. I
      still have my Mythcon program with the map of the campus and location of the
      library, but don't seem to have the initial "how to reach the Con site"
      publication.

      TIA,

      Mary S
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 26, 1999
        Mary wrote:

        >Does anyone still have on file the directions for reaching Wheaton and
        >Wheaton College, from last year?
        >
        >Our party plans to return south through Chicago but with a diversion to
        >Wheaton to visit the Wade Collection, which some of us have not seen. I
        >still have my Mythcon program with the map of the campus and location of the
        >library, but don't seem to have the initial "how to reach the Con site"
        >publication.

        If you're driving down from Milwaukee, take 94 from Milwaukee, then 294
        when it branches off in Chicago. Stay on 294 until the exit for rte 88 west
        toward Aurora. Take 88 to the Naperville Road exit, then Naperville Road
        north (a left turn at the traffic light after the exit, if I recall
        correctly). Turn right on Roosevelt Road (rte 38, I think), then almost
        immediately left on Washington. Washington will take you onto the Wheaton
        College campus. Park in one of the marked visitor spaces in the lot behind
        the Library, or wherever visitor parking is available on campus.

        At least, this is the way my wife and I drove there recently. There are
        other routes. Rte 94 has a lot of construction going on now, at the
        Milwaukee and Chicago ends, but this didn't delay us much.

        Note that the Wheaton College Library is presently undergoing renovation,
        and most of the building is closed. The Wade Center, however, is open for
        business (Mon.-Fri., 9-12 and 1-4). But anyone wishing to do work there
        should get in touch with the Center first, as they will be short-staffed
        during the Mythcon/Breemoot period.

        I might also note that there will be only another year or so for visitors
        to see the Wade in its present quarters. They are just finishing plans for
        a building of their own, to be built very near to the Library, and hope to
        move in sometime next year. I've seen the plans, and they look splendid.
        There will be increased and improved reading space and a museum area.

        Wayne Hammond