Re: [mythsoc] Re: Fw: LOTR

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 23, 2001
      On 12/23/01 7:47 AM, "Ted Sherman" <tedsherman@...> wrote:

      > Carl,
      >
      > And what are those elvish words derived from. Mordor is from OE morthor
      > (where th signifies the OE edh).

      No, it isn't. _Mordor_ contains two Elvish elements: _mor_ 'dark' + _(n)dor_
      land'. These Elvish elements existed in Tolkien's lexicon, and were
      productive separately in other names, long before Tolkien began writing _The
      Lord of the Rings_, and hence long before he ever coined the name _Mordor_.
      The resemblance of _Mordor_ to OE _morthor_ is purely coincidental. And
      though it may be a happy coincidence, one cannot thereby claim that the
      Elvish word is derived from the Old English.

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |