McKELLAN, HOLM MAY JOIN RINGS CAST

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 1999
      ----- Forwarded message begins here -----

      McKELLAN, HOLM MAY JOIN RINGS CAST

      Ian McKellen and Ian Holm have reportedly
      joined the cast of Peter Jackson's upcoming film
      trilogy The Lord of the Rings. Ain't It Cool News
      says it has confirmed that McKellen will play the
      role of Gandalf, while Holm will star as Bilbo
      Baggins.

      McKellen will reportedly join the New Zealand
      Rings shoot in January 2000, immediately after
      he finishes his role as Magneto in Bryan Singer's
      X-Men film. McKellen supposedly read all three
      scripts for the Rings movies and fell in love with
      the trilogy, which he will spend 11 months
      working on.

      ------ Forwarded message ends here ------

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 24, 1999
        Lower on the "News" page at http://www.ringbearer.org I find the following
        e-mail interchange:

        <<So, umm, are Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke going to be Galadriel and Faramir?
        Are you going to replace Glorfindel or Eowen with Arwen? Thank you for your
        cooperation.

        <<Deluca: Honestly don't know yet on either. >>

        REPLACE EOWYN????????? Aaaaaagh!!!

        otoh, I can see where a sword-swingin' Arwen might indeed replace Glorfindel
        - in cinematic terms, that is - let's not think about what JRRT might have
        said.

        Mary S
      • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 1999
          Come on, Mary, don't you notice that these people are joking here? The
          interviewer is deliberately proposing silly casting and plot ideas, and
          Deluca (whoever that is) is saying, "Go away and don't bother me".

          Wendell Wagner
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 24, 1999
            In a message dated 7/24/99 10:04:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > Come on, Mary, don't you notice that these people are joking here? The
            > interviewer is deliberately proposing silly casting and plot ideas, and
            > Deluca (whoever that is) is saying, "Go away and don't bother me".

            That's not my impression, though you may be right. We =know= from casting
            calls that Arwen is supposed to be able to ride a horse and wield a sword -
            this has produced much speculation, including on this list.

            Go there and read for yourself, if you go back into the archives you may find
            out more about Deluca. I think he is the man at New Line charged with
            answering fan letters and inquiries, and he seems to be telling them as much
            as he can under the firm's imposed guidelines.

            Mary S
          • Paul F. Labaki
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 1999
              right on, sister!
              --
              Paul Labaki

              ----------
              >From: Stolzi@...
              >To: mythsoc@onelist.com
              >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] McKELLAN, HOLM MAY JOIN RINGS CAST
              >Date: Sat, Jul 24, 1999, 10:54 AM
              >

              > REPLACE EOWYN????????? Aaaaaagh!!!
              >
              > otoh, I can see where a sword-swingin' Arwen might indeed replace Glorfindel
              > - in cinematic terms, that is - let's not think about what JRRT might have
              > said.
              >
              > Mary
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 1999
                Stolzi@... wrote:

                > That's not my impression, though you may be right. We =know= from casting
                > calls that Arwen is supposed to be able to ride a horse and wield a sword -
                > this has produced much speculation, including on this list.

                I suspect they will keep Eowyn in the story so they can create a
                romantic triangle: Aragorn, promised to Arwen, falls in love with Eowyn
                and, all too likely in modern movies, falls into bed with her. Shall we
                all scream together now?

                Berni
                -- Like my husband, I also am not responsible for the following
                advertisement. --