Re: C.S. Lewis

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 1999
      In a message dated 7/22/99 3:47:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
      mwinslow@... writes:

      > Are sexual politics really a valid criticism in books that are children's
      > literature?

      Esp when CSL says that one of the reasons he chose the children's story form
      was to omit all "love-interest."

      I don't think Jadis or the White Witch are "sexual" figures. Full-grown
      women, yes ("a demd fine woman," says deluded Uncle Andrew) but their big
      interest is POWER, not sex. The White Witch is... well, dash it! ... FRIGID
      ;)

      Mrs Beaver is (like Mrs Dimble in the Trilogy) a fully wedded woman, in a
      later stage of life; and both of them are certainly "good."

      Mary S