1998 books

  • Eleanor Farrell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 1999
      Diane Joy Baker wrote:

      I'd like to
      nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.

      Diane,

      Can you provide more info? Author, brief description, adult or children's???

      Thanks!

      Ellie

      Eleanor M. Farrell
      P.O. Box 320486
      San Francisco, CA 94132-0486
      E-mail: emfarrell@...

      Editor, Mythprint (Mythopoeic Society newsletter)
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 1999
        Responding to the message of <l03130306b2b2b96d78fa@[153.37.15.207]>
        from mythsoc@onelist.com:

        > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
        >
        > Diane Joy Baker wrote:
        >
        > I'd like to
        > nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.

        > Can you provide more info? Author, brief description, adult or children's???

        Here's a bit of info: --ddl
        Strauss, Victoria.
        | TITLE: The arm of the stone /
        | PLACE: New York :
        |PUBLISHER: Avon Eos,
        | YEAR: 1998
        | PUB TYPE: Book
        | FORMAT: 426 p. ; 18 cm.
        | ISBN: 0380797518

        David Lenander, Library Manager I
        Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
        Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
        Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
        University of Minnesota
        Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

        e-mail: d-lena@...
        web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 1999
          > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
          >
          > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
          > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
          > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
          > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
          > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.

          And I'd like to give Phantastes a thumbs-up. I discovered it about a month
          ago and really enjoyed what Staci's got up there. It's definitely worth a
          look.

          Matthew Winslow mwinslow@...
          http://www.firinn.org/~mwinslow/
          "There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading
          them." - Joseph Brodsky

          Currently reading: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt
        • Staci Dumoski
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 1999
            I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
            Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
            article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
            subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
            article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.

            Best,
            Staci

            *** *** ***
            Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
            Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
            The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism

            On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Diane Baker wrote:

            > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
            >
            > Ellie: I think I gave a synopsis of *Arm* in BW 42, but it concerns a
            > young man preserving a thousand year old story, handed down through his
            > family in a land where technology is heavily regulated (hand-power) and
            > magic (mind-power) is preferred. When his brother commits an
            > infraction, his entire family is wiped out; he joins the regulators to
            > bring down the system from within. This summary does no justice to the
            > writing, and to the gripping interweaving of his life with that of a
            > female trainee in the same place. Later, it becomes a story of
            > intrigue. It's really quite good; I veiw it as something Tolkien might
            > have liked (even if he was ambivalent about technology, he was equally
            > ambivalent about magic getting out of hand); the world-building is very
            > interesting. I think it at least deserves consideration. ---djb.
            > > >
            > > > From: Eleanor Farrell <emfarrell@...>
            > > >
            > > > Diane Joy Baker wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'd like to
            > > > nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.
            > >
            > > > Can you provide more info? Author, brief description, adult or children's???
            > >
            > > Here's a bit of info: --ddl
            > > Strauss, Victoria.
            > > | TITLE: The arm of the stone /
            > > | PLACE: New York :
            > > |PUBLISHER: Avon Eos,
            > > | YEAR: 1998
            > > | PUB TYPE: Book
            > > | FORMAT: 426 p. ; 18 cm.
            > > | ISBN: 0380797518
            > >
            > > David Lenander, Library Manager I
            > > Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
            > > Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
            > > Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
            > > University of Minnesota
            > > Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455
            > >
            > > e-mail: d-lena@...
            > > web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html

          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 1999

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
                On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Diane Baker wrote:

                > I'd like to see that article. I take it I can get it from your online
                > address?

                Yes, it's available at http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes (along with a
                number of other articles on fantasy lit).

                Best,
                Staci Dumoski
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 1999
                    Staci Dumoski wrote:

                    > From: Staci Dumoski <unicorn@...>
                    >
                    > I hope I won't be accused of self-promotion here, but the ezine I publish,
                    > Phantastes (which many of you will probably find interesting), includes an
                    > article by Victoria Strauss, author of _The Arm of the Stone_, on the
                    > subject of world building. I enjoyed the novel very much, and the
                    > article gives some really interesting insight into the writing process.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > Staci
                    >
                    > *** *** ***
                    > Staci Dumoski unicorn@...
                    > Editor, Phantastes http://www.nocturne.org/phantastes
                    > The Online Journal of Fantasy Criticism
                    >
                    >I'd like to pay you a compliment on your online 'zine. It's got some great stuff; esp. enjoyed the Victoria Strauss article, and the books on world-building---two of which I already own.

                    Maybe you can help me: I'm looking for some material on magical rules
                    and systems. I don't necessarily want spells or original sources (a la
                    Dion Fortune) but articles on how to design a good magical system. Any
                    pointers? Have already checked out the *Encyclopedia of Fantasy* by
                    Clute and Co. Interesting, but I really want a copy of the whole
                    encyclopedia, and can't afford it just now! My library doesn't have a
                    copy, so can't Xerox or take notes. Thanks. ---djb.