Re: [mythsoc] LOTR, another pass along

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
      In a message dated 12/4/2001 5:50:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > 'The grandson of J.R.R. Tolkien has been disowned by his father for
      > supporting the movie adaptation of Lord of the Rings, the London
      > Independent
      > on Sunday reported. "As long ago as early 1999, it was my view that we
      > should take a much more positive line on the film, and that was overruled
      > by
      > my father. Following that, I was excluded from the board of the Tolkien
      > company," Simon Tolkien told the newspaper. He added that his father,
      > Christopher, has refused to speak to him since and has ignored approaches
      > for a reconciliation. J.R.R. Tolkien reportedly signed away the film rights
      > to The Lord of the Rings for $15,000 in 1968.'

      Was he really disowned (i.e., cut out of the will), or was he merely dropped
      from the board that controls the Tolkien estate?

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2001
        In a message dated 12/4/01 6:42:20 PM Central Standard Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        > Was he really disowned (i.e., cut out of the will), or was he merely
        dropped
        > from the board that controls the Tolkien estate?

        Wouldn't that be "disinherited"? Anyway, it didn't say. The business about
        the board didn't bother me as much as a father refusing to speak to his son.

        Diamond Proudbrook