LOTR, another pass along

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
      'From Studio Briefing:

      'Tolkien Kin Disowned By Father For Supporting Movie Rings

      'The grandson of J.R.R. Tolkien has been disowned by his father for
      supporting the movie adaptation of Lord of the Rings, the London Independent
      on Sunday reported. "As long ago as early 1999, it was my view that we
      should take a much more positive line on the film, and that was overruled by
      my father. Following that, I was excluded from the board of the Tolkien
      company," Simon Tolkien told the newspaper. He added that his father,
      Christopher, has refused to speak to him since and has ignored approaches
      for a reconciliation. J.R.R. Tolkien reportedly signed away the film rights
      to The Lord of the Rings for $15,000 in 1968.'

      This seems a real shame.

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2001
        In a message dated 12/4/2001 5:50:19 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > 'The grandson of J.R.R. Tolkien has been disowned by his father for
        > supporting the movie adaptation of Lord of the Rings, the London
        > Independent
        > on Sunday reported. "As long ago as early 1999, it was my view that we
        > should take a much more positive line on the film, and that was overruled
        > by
        > my father. Following that, I was excluded from the board of the Tolkien
        > company," Simon Tolkien told the newspaper. He added that his father,
        > Christopher, has refused to speak to him since and has ignored approaches
        > for a reconciliation. J.R.R. Tolkien reportedly signed away the film rights
        > to The Lord of the Rings for $15,000 in 1968.'

        Was he really disowned (i.e., cut out of the will), or was he merely dropped
        from the board that controls the Tolkien estate?

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2001
          In a message dated 12/4/01 6:42:20 PM Central Standard Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          > Was he really disowned (i.e., cut out of the will), or was he merely
          dropped
          > from the board that controls the Tolkien estate?

          Wouldn't that be "disinherited"? Anyway, it didn't say. The business about
          the board didn't bother me as much as a father refusing to speak to his son.

          Diamond Proudbrook