Harry Potter - again!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2001
      I wrote of the HARRY POTTER film:

      ' As for what you say about HPOTTER, David, I dunno. He hasn't said it's
      "terrible," just that it doesn't have "real passion, real emotion, real
      terror, and a tactile sense of Evil" - and I am not sure, myself, that it
      did. At least, maybe appropriately for a children's film, these things were
      not there on a very deep level. '

      Thinking it over, the deepest emotion I can recall in Vol. 1 is that felt by
      Harry when he sees his family in the Mirror of Erised. Rowling really rose
      to the challenge, as I recall. Compared with that, the emotion elicited in
      the movie by the same scene was pretty paltry.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • NiffMarie@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2001
        In a message dated 12/3/2001 9:40:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > Thinking it over, the deepest emotion I can recall in Vol. 1 is that felt
        by

        > Harry when he sees his family in the Mirror of Erised. Rowling
        > really rose
        > to the challenge, as I recall. Compared with that, the emotion
        > elicited in
        > the movie by the same scene was pretty paltry.

        I dunno... I was pretty touched by the scene in the movie. Night after night
        he sat in front of it, gazing at his parents - his mother's arm around his
        shoulders. I felt deeply for him, in a way I hadn't experienced in the book.

        --Niff, infj
        NiffMarie@...
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
        Cicero
      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
          I also thought that the follow-up to this scene, where Harry sends his owl
          flying in the snow, was the only really intriguing directorial touch in the
          whole movie. A director needs to take the internal thoughts and feelings of
          the character and find some way to convey them physically, and I think he
          handled Harry's release of his obsession with the mirror well here.

          Janet
          writes:

          > Thinking it over, the deepest emotion I can recall in Vol. 1 is that
          felt
          by

          > Harry when he sees his family in the Mirror of Erised. Rowling
          > really rose
          > to the challenge, as I recall. Compared with that, the emotion
          > elicited in
          > the movie by the same scene was pretty paltry.

          I dunno... I was pretty touched by the scene in the movie. Night after
          night
          he sat in front of it, gazing at his parents - his mother's arm around his
          shoulders. I felt deeply for him, in a way I hadn't experienced in the
          book.

          --Niff, infj
          NiffMarie@...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
          Cicero

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2001
            In a message dated 12/4/01 12:20:28 PM Central Standard Time, jbcroft@...
            writes:

            > I also thought that the follow-up to this scene, where Harry sends his owl
            > flying in the snow, was the only really intriguing directorial touch in the
            > whole movie. [etc]

            Yes - that was -very- good.