Re: [mythsoc] MBTI (was LotR marketing)

  • Avie
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
      At 23:11 2/12/01 EST, Niff wrote:
      >Any guesses on the types of Aragorn, Galadriel, Legolas, Gimli, Eowyn,
      Arwen,
      >and Gandalf?

      I was recently on a leadership camp where I encountered Myers-Briggs for
      the first time. Some of the information supplied to us following the
      testing included famous people and literary characters that shared each
      person's particular type. Gandalf the Grey was listed as sharing my MBTI -
      INTJ... which makes me wonder if this changes somewhat after he becomes
      Gandalf the White.

      Avie
      - an INTJ who isn't informed enough yet to offer a reliable analysis
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
        <<My crib on the MBTI (*Please Understand Me*) says that most women are Fs rather than Ts; I won't get into whether this is innate or cultural.

        When I took the "full" test for the first time (as opposed to the shortened one we used in a class), the person administering it postulated that I might have been a "natural" F, but because I'd studied science my T was stronger than it would have been otherwise--only of interest here because this person was pretty well trained in the MBTI and she did think that training, etc., is able to influence type.

        <<I've run into a lot of INFPs and INFJs, which means either that odd ducks tend to congregate, perhaps choose the same profession (and so we tend to meet that type) or we're not as rare as the test proposes. Be interesting to find out if there's a preponderance of a type in Tolkien fandom. ---djb

        According to _Please Understand Me_, the "ideal" profession for an INFJ is writing, and the second best (because it's a struggle if the "I" is too strong) is ministry. Those two areas do seem to be where I run into the most. I certainly can't speak for the entire realm of Tolkien fandom, but among the half-dozen or so of us who worked on this I think there was one "E" and the others were about evenly divided between INFJ and INFP. I can see how INFP's might be attracted to fantasy (another email--sorry, I don't remember whose), but maybe it takes a "J" to get a book written (either to write it, or to nag--oops, I mean encourage--the writer).
        --Trudy

      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2001
          "I've run into a lot of INFPs and INFJs, which means either that odd ducks
          tend to congregate, perhaps choose the same profession (and so we tend to
          meet that type) or we're not as rare as the test proposes. Be interesting to
          find out if there's a preponderance of a type in Tolkien fandom. ---djb"

          Sounds like a very interesting paper idea -- and maybe do a comparison to
          other fan groups as well, like Star Wars fans, and see what kind of overlap
          you get!

          Janet