Re: [mythsoc] MBTI (was LotR marketing)

  • Christine Howlett
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
      And my roommate who is heavily into fantasy is an INFP, who also switchhits
      as an S. Sometimes I think jobs encourage that kind of change - as a
      paramedic she needs to be strongly sensory. Both of us are stubbornly
      attached to our own very liberal viewpoints and devil take the hindmost. I
      thought that was sort of New England kind of thing actually.
      Christine
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
        At 23:11 2/12/01 EST, Niff wrote:
        >Any guesses on the types of Aragorn, Galadriel, Legolas, Gimli, Eowyn,
        Arwen,
        >and Gandalf?

        I was recently on a leadership camp where I encountered Myers-Briggs for
        the first time. Some of the information supplied to us following the
        testing included famous people and literary characters that shared each
        person's particular type. Gandalf the Grey was listed as sharing my MBTI -
        INTJ... which makes me wonder if this changes somewhat after he becomes
        Gandalf the White.

        Avie
        - an INTJ who isn't informed enough yet to offer a reliable analysis
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
          <<My crib on the MBTI (*Please Understand Me*) says that most women are Fs rather than Ts; I won't get into whether this is innate or cultural.

          When I took the "full" test for the first time (as opposed to the shortened one we used in a class), the person administering it postulated that I might have been a "natural" F, but because I'd studied science my T was stronger than it would have been otherwise--only of interest here because this person was pretty well trained in the MBTI and she did think that training, etc., is able to influence type.

          <<I've run into a lot of INFPs and INFJs, which means either that odd ducks tend to congregate, perhaps choose the same profession (and so we tend to meet that type) or we're not as rare as the test proposes. Be interesting to find out if there's a preponderance of a type in Tolkien fandom. ---djb

          According to _Please Understand Me_, the "ideal" profession for an INFJ is writing, and the second best (because it's a struggle if the "I" is too strong) is ministry. Those two areas do seem to be where I run into the most. I certainly can't speak for the entire realm of Tolkien fandom, but among the half-dozen or so of us who worked on this I think there was one "E" and the others were about evenly divided between INFJ and INFP. I can see how INFP's might be attracted to fantasy (another email--sorry, I don't remember whose), but maybe it takes a "J" to get a book written (either to write it, or to nag--oops, I mean encourage--the writer).
          --Trudy

        • Janet Croft
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2001
            "I've run into a lot of INFPs and INFJs, which means either that odd ducks
            tend to congregate, perhaps choose the same profession (and so we tend to
            meet that type) or we're not as rare as the test proposes. Be interesting to
            find out if there's a preponderance of a type in Tolkien fandom. ---djb"

            Sounds like a very interesting paper idea -- and maybe do a comparison to
            other fan groups as well, like Star Wars fans, and see what kind of overlap
            you get!

            Janet