Re: [mythsoc] Newsweek LOTR review

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2001
      At 05:07 PM 12/2/2001 , David Ansen of Newsweek wrote:

      >I came
      >out, three hours later, sorry I'd have to wait a year to see what happens
      >trip to the bookstore to pick up "The Two Towers" might be in order.

      OK, so he does know about books. And he also knows how to spell "Baggins".
      In that case I'll forgive him any residual infelicity in his phrasing.

      From the review's full criticisms of the Good (the Shire and Lorien),
      combined with the lengthy background article that Joan posted a link to, I
      am torn between wondering whether the problems lie in the reviewer's
      tastes, or in Jackson's being unable to convey Tolkien's sense of good as
      well as he does Tolkien's sense of evil.

      Which only increases my desire to see it and judge for myself.

      David Bratman