Midlands, accents, etc.

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 1999
      Tolkien LETTERS, 44, states that Worcestershire is particularly "'home' to
      me, as no other part of the world is" and that it was the ancestral home of
      his mother's family, the Suffields.

      David Bratman, in a private e-mail, says that some part of the LETTERS which
      he has not been able to locate gives Tolkien's statement that "the image of
      the Shire he had in mind is of a Midlands country village of the late 19th
      century."

      Mary S
    • Beregond. Anders Stenstr�m
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 1999
        > David Bratman, in a private e-mail, says that some part of the LETTERS which
        > he has not been able to locate gives Tolkien's statement that "the image of
        > the Shire he had in mind is of a Midlands country village of the late 19th
        > century."
        >
        > Mary S

        ". . . more or less a Warwickshire village about the period of the Diamond
        Jubilee" (L 178)

        - Beregond