Re: [mythsoc] LOTR review

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
      From: <Stolzi@...>

      > This appears to have
      > come my way from http://biz.yahoo.com
      >
      > Ansen praises Jackson's shooting of the
      > movie, saying his camera ``literally flies like a hawk, swooping and
      plunging
      > into breathtaking scenes of blood and destruction.''

      Oh, I would like to see that. It makes me think of the class material at
      Hogwarts.

      Berni
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
        In a message dated 12/2/01 11:34:42 AM Central Standard Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        > I'm intrigued that I would criticize much of what he
        > finds praiseworthy, and praise what he criticizes.

        I was depressed that the reviewer found the evil things in the film the most
        convincing, and the things representing Good to be hackneyed and trite.
        (Well, OK, I myself thought that Galadriel's swan boat as seen in stills was
        rather icky.)

        If it's true, it is a failure on Jackson's part, certainly (and I've been
        alarmed by the likeness of some shots and clips I've seen to Horror Movies).
        If it's not true, then either the reviewer, which is bad, or the whole
        culture, which is worse, simply has a blind spot, an allergy or deafness to
        Good. Which is highly possible.

        As for what you say about HPOTTER, David, I dunno. He hasn't said it's
        "terrible," just that it doesn't have "real passion, real emotion, real
        terror, and a tactile sense of Evil" - and I am not sure, myself, that it
        did. At least, maybe appropriately for a children's film, these things were
        not there on a very deep level.

        Am I the only one who thinks that Viggo Mortensen looks EXACTLY like Aragorn
        ought to look?

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 2, 2001
          Diamond Proudbrook wrote:

          > Am I the only one who thinks that Viggo Mortensen looks EXACTLY like Aragorn
          > ought to look?

          He doesn't look anything close to what I imagine Aragron to look. But I
          can make allowances.

          Joan

          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • Janet Croft
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
            I wasn't sure at first, but the more I see the actors, the more the pictures
            in my mind start to look like them. Except Gimli. I love the concept of
            John Rhys-Davies as Gimli, but somhow the few clips and pictures I've seen
            haven't "clicked" for me.

            Janet
            > Am I the only one who thinks that Viggo Mortensen looks EXACTLY like
            Aragorn
            > ought to look?

            He doesn't look anything close to what I imagine Aragron to look. But I
            can make allowances.

            Joan

            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Grace E. Funk
            Message 5 of 18 , May 30, 2002
              Odd reviews do pop up in odd places. In The Anglican Digest, Whitsuntide
              2002, pp37-38, is an item titled "We See Evil for What It Is". Having
              described LOTR (the film) as "a straightforward tale of straightforward
              good and evil", the author, one William Murchison, proceeds to take off
              on his own agenda, which is to prove that Americans have been driven
              away from non-judgmental ambivalence. Ambivance was "modern" and
              promoted by "our Intellectual Betters", he says. Americans now recognize
              that evil is personified in Osama bin Laden, who ought to be given
              royalties for contributing to the popularaity of LOTR.
              Now there's a stretch! The article was copied from the Dallas Morning
              News.

              --
              Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333
            • jamcconney@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , May 30, 2002
                In a message dated 5/30/2002 1:50:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
                gfunk@... writes:

                > Odd reviews do pop up in odd places. In The Anglican Digest, Whitsuntide
                > 2002, pp37-38, is an item titled "We See Evil for What It Is". Having
                > described LOTR (the film) as "a straightforward tale of straightforward
                > good and evil", the author, one William Murchison, proceeds to take off
                > on his own agenda, which is to prove that Americans have been driven
                > away from non-judgmental ambivalence. Ambivance was "modern" and
                > promoted by "our Intellectual Betters", he says. Americans now recognize
                > that evil is personified in Osama bin Laden, who ought to be given
                > royalties for contributing to the popularaity of LOTR.
                > Now there's a stretch! The article was copied from the Dallas Morning
                > News.

                My word!--as a good card-carrying Episcopalian, I really must track this one
                down.
                Jamaq

              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 18 , May 31, 2002
                  << Odd reviews do pop up in odd places. In The Anglican Digest, Whitsuntide
                  2002, pp37-38, is an item titled "We See Evil for What It Is". Having
                  described LOTR (the film) as "a straightforward tale of straightforward
                  good and evil", the author, one William Murchison, proceeds to take off
                  on his own agenda, which is to prove that Americans have been driven
                  away from non-judgmental ambivalence. Ambivalence was "modern" and
                  promoted by "our Intellectual Betters", he says. >>

                  So who are the stupid people who listened to these "intellectual betters" and followed like sheep? Some perhaps didn't know what was happening to their minds or consciences, but others just brushed it away as too impractical, too abstract, having no relationship to themselves. So when their kids come up with "that's your truth," they gurgle and look helpless

                  << Americans now recognize that evil is personified in Osama bin Laden, who ought to be given royalties for contributing to the popularaity of LOTR. >>

                  Osame bin Laden, sharing JRRT's royalties? Some cirtics are too clever for their own good. And this was in an *Anglican* magazine? I know it's a joke, but I find irony like that very unfunny these days. For shame! ---djb

                  --
                  Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • Randall Eicher
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 31, 2002
                    > << Odd reviews do pop up in odd places. In The Anglican Digest,
                    Whitsuntide
                    > 2002, pp37-38, is an item titled "We See Evil for What It Is". Having
                    > described LOTR (the film) as "a straightforward tale of straightforward
                    > good and evil", the author, one William Murchison, proceeds to take off
                    > on his own agenda, which is to prove that Americans have been driven
                    > away from non-judgmental ambivalence. Ambivalence was "modern" and
                    > promoted by "our Intellectual Betters", he says. >>
                    >
                    > So who are the stupid people who listened to these "intellectual betters"
                    and followed like sheep? Some perhaps didn't know what was happening to
                    their minds or consciences, but others just brushed it away as too
                    impractical, too abstract, having no relationship to themselves. So when
                    their kids come up with "that's your truth," they gurgle and look helpless

                    > << Americans now recognize that evil is personified in Osama bin Laden,
                    who ought to be given royalties for contributing to the popularaity of LOTR.

                    > Osame bin Laden, sharing JRRT's royalties? Some cirtics are too clever
                    for their own good. And this was in an *Anglican* magazine? I know it's a
                    joke, but I find irony like that very unfunny these days. For
                    hame! ---djb

                    As a resident of Dallas I get to see Mr. Murchison's rantings on the
                    editorial page and can provide a modicum of insight into his viewpoint. He
                    is an ultra-conservative fundamentalist Christian who is always ranting on
                    about how American has gotten away from "good, solid" Christian values and
                    proceeds to condemn everyone and everything that does not fit in his
                    extremely narrow view.

                    He is of the opinion that the world would be better off blindly following
                    whatever they are told by their Church leaders rather questioning and
                    thinking for themselves.

                    Randall Eicher
                  • Christine Howlett
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 2, 2002
                      Sorry, I'm born American, but I have real problems selecting people to
                      personify evil. It seems like there are too durn many people doing that to
                      justify their prejudices and then their bloodshed. I am willing to say that
                      Osama's acts are morally indefensible on any grounds, even if the US had
                      actually done all the evil that he accuses us of. Himself? He's one sick
                      puppy. Evil? That's up to God.
                      Score one for ambivalence.
                      Christine

                      > Odd reviews do pop up in odd places. In The Anglican Digest, Whitsuntide
                      > 2002, pp37-38, is an item titled "We See Evil for What It Is". Having
                      > described LOTR (the film) as "a straightforward tale of straightforward
                      > good and evil", the author, one William Murchison, proceeds to take off
                      > on his own agenda, which is to prove that Americans have been driven
                      > away from non-judgmental ambivalence. Ambivance was "modern" and
                      > promoted by "our Intellectual Betters", he says. Americans now recognize
                      > that evil is personified in Osama bin Laden, who ought to be given
                      > royalties for contributing to the popularaity of LOTR.
                      > Now there's a stretch! The article was copied from the Dallas Morning
                      > News.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Grace E. Funk R.R. #1, Lumby, B.C. V0E 2G0 Phone (250)547-6333

                    • Pauline J. Alama
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 3, 2002
                        I'm with Ms. Howlett. Judge not lest ye be judged, or as Gandalf says, even the very wise do not know all ends.

                        pauline

                        Pauline J. Alama
                        THE EYE OF NIGHT
                        (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)

                        > Sorry, I'm born American, but I have real problems selecting people to
                        > personify evil. It seems like there are too durn many people doing that
                        > justify their prejudices and then their bloodshed. I am willing to say
                        > that
                        > Osama's acts are morally indefensible on any grounds, even if the US had
                        > actually done all the evil that he accuses us of. Himself? He's one
                        > sick
                        > puppy. Evil? That's up to God.
                        > Score one for ambivalence.
                        > Christine

                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 3, 2002
                          That is certainly not what "judge not ..." means. As moral creatures with
                          conscience and Free will, we are not only allowed but required to discern
                          the difference between good and evil. (I'm speaking both of the races of
                          Middle-earth and our own world.) What we cannot do is determine another's
                          fate. That is left to God/Eru. Osama bin Laden is evil. Sauron was evil. Is
                          either iredeemable to God/Eru? _That_ is not for us to decide.

                          | |
                          | Ars longa, vita brevis. |

                          --------------------------

                          On 6/3/02 7:53 AM, "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...> wrote:

                          > I'm with Ms. Howlett. Judge not lest ye be judged, or as Gandalf says, even
                          > the very wise do not know all ends.
                          >
                          > pauline
                          >
                          > Pauline J. Alama
                          > THE EYE OF NIGHT
                          > (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)

                        • trudygshaw
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 3, 2002
                            What we can't do (literally--can't) is get inside another person's being and judge his or her motivation, state of mind, and all the other things that go into the choice of an action, good or bad. We can do that only for ourselves, and even there (IMHO) only to a limited degree. One of the many reasons I'm glad I'm not God--I gratefully leave the task to her.

                            Free will gives us the responsibility to discern between good and evil (or choose from more than one good) in our own decisions, including how we decide to respond to another's evil actions.

                            --Trudy

                            That is certainly not what "judge not ..." means. As moral creatures with
                            conscience and Free will, we are not only allowed but required to discern
                            the difference between good and evil. (I'm speaking both of the races of
                            Middle-earth and our own world.) What we cannot do is determine another's
                            fate. That is left to God/Eru. Osama bin Laden is evil. Sauron was evil. Is
                            either iredeemable to God/Eru? _That_ is not for us to decide.

                            | |
                            | Ars longa, vita brevis. |

                            --------------------------

                            On 6/3/02 7:53 AM, "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...> wrote:

                            > I'm with Ms. Howlett. Judge not lest ye be judged, or as Gandalf says, even
                            > the very wise do not know all ends.
                            >
                            > pauline
                            >
                            > Pauline J. Alama
                            > THE EYE OF NIGHT
                            > (Bantam Spectra, July 2002)

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Bill
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 3, 2002
                              Sorry. I truly believe there are or have been evil people
                              in this world.
                              Hitler, for example, or Pol Phat (sp?)
                              While bin Laden certainly is not in their league, I've no
                              doubt, given the weapons and
                              chance, he could be. ((assuming he's still alive)).
                              Of course. one can argue evil is in the mind of the
                              beholder. I'll not go any further
                              because I might stray over into politics, and this isn't the
                              venue for that.
                              Except, in this case, in the US, at least, the
                              overwhelming belief is bin Laden IS
                              evil.

                            • SusanPal@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 3, 2002
                                In a message dated 6/3/2002 10:33:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                                lunacy2@... writes:

                                > While bin Laden certainly is not in their league, I've no
                                > doubt, given the weapons and
                                > chance, he could be.

                                I'm not so sure he's not in Hitler's and Pol Pot's league -- the idea of
                                assessing the evil of actions numerically makes me very nervous.

                                And I think it's much easier (although still not always easy!) to determine
                                if ACTIONS are evil than to determine if people are . . . and, to me, that
                                seems like safer theological ground, too.

                                Susan

                              • jamcconney@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 3, 2002
                                  In a message dated 6/3/2002 12:33:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                  lunacy2@... writes:

                                  > While bin Laden certainly is not in their league, I've no
                                  > doubt, given the weapons and
                                  > chance, he could be.

                                  Dorothy Sayers has an essay ( in _Creed or Chaos_ I think) in which she asks
                                  the reader (I paraphrase, not having the book at hand) if the evil we do is
                                  less because we lack the opportunity. It's an interesting point, as we do
                                  tend to be a bit unclear whether we're talking about quantity or quality (if
                                  one can use the word 'quality' about evil). Is the _quality_ of evil greater
                                  in the WTC attack than in the Cole bombing--or was it just a bigger death
                                  toll and a lot more spectacular.

                                  Mind you, I don't necessarily subscribe to what I'm suggesting--I'm just
                                  throwing the idea out for discussion. I don't subscribe to leGuin's "The Ones
                                  Who Walk Away from Omelas" either, being of the unfortunate temperament that
                                  prefers to draw the line in the sand and slug it out--but even after having
                                  read it many times, I cry at the end.

                                  Jamaq

                                • michael_martinez2
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 3, 2002
                                    I think I have read this entire discussion to date. I don't quite
                                    follow it. What was the definition for "evil" being used in the
                                    original article? While I do feel Osama Bin Laden is evil, that
                                    belief is founded upon my own understanding of what constitutes
                                    evil. I'm not sure there is or can be a magnitude of evil. One may
                                    or may not be evil, but each evil act is a thing unto itself. After
                                    unjustly putting many Christians to death, Saul of Tarsus had an
                                    experience on the road to Damascus which changed his life, his
                                    beliefs, and his behavior.

                                    Was he evil simply because he had sinned?

                                    The Christian view of evil can be distorted (or distilled into
                                    various flavors) through argument and debate, but if Saul were really
                                    deemed evil by God, then why would God make him an apostle? Or can
                                    evil be cleansed from the soul? Isn't that what salvation is all
                                    about?

                                    Is Osama Bin Laden truly responsible for spurring sales of THE LORD
                                    OF THE RINGS (and one must wonder how such influence was factored out
                                    of the normally strong sales AND the movie-inspired sales AND the
                                    various commercial play-inspired sales)? That sounds rather like the
                                    claim that Al Gore invented the Internet, or that the business boom
                                    of the 1990s would not have happened had Clinton not won the
                                    presidency.

                                    Maybe if Charles Beckwith III hadn't sat on a bench on April 13,
                                    1914, World War II would never have happened. He committed such an
                                    evil act, if he truly existed, and if his action was indeed the cause
                                    of a long chain of events which led to the invasion of Poland. After
                                    all, where does one draw the line between good and evil?

                                    Is this simply another case of "Us" versus "Them"? According to
                                    Osama Bin Laden (and millions of people in the Arab/Muslim world, if
                                    the western news media is to be believed), America is evil. That
                                    makes us evil. Why? Because someone else believes we are evil.