Re: ???

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 1999
      Tom & Maria T wrote:

      > Hi, Diane,
      > Got January 1999 "Mythprint" monthly bulletin yesterday. Pg. 4 states
      > all society members are invited to discuss Mythopoeic Award
      > nominations. Do you have a favorite 1998 work, fiction or
      > non-fiction? I guess that's where we're encouraged to begin. Am not
      > current with new Sf and fantasy books. I took the new Legends book
      > out of our village library. Couldn't get interested as several of
      > these stories were continuations of sagas I hadn't read, and since it
      > was a new book, only had a short time. My interest is in stories that
      > begin with the real world, and take off from there, such as, Lewis's
      > Trilogy. Is there anything good in 1998 that blends reality and
      > fantasy?
      > Maria Tatham, Weston, OH, USA

      Hello from a fellow Ohioan! Thought I'd drop you a line on line and ask
      where you are in relation to Cincinnati. Been trying to put together a
      Mythie group in the local area. As for your question, I can't really
      think of anything that begins and ends in the real world. I'd like to
      nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.
    • David Lenander
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 1999
        Responding to the message of <368D4546.182B@...>
        from mythsoc@onelist.com:

        > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
        >
        > Tom & Maria T wrote:
        [. . . .]
        > > Maria Tatham, Weston, OH, USA
        > >
        > Hello from a fellow Ohioan! Thought I'd drop you a line on line and ask
        > where you are in relation to Cincinnati. Been trying to put together a
        > Mythie group in the local area. [. . . .]

        Yes, there have been (during my tenure as Discussion Groups secretary), people
        interested in starting groups in every major city in Ohio, I think. If only
        they all lived in the same one! Currently, I think we're listing three or so on
        my Activity Calendar web-page. If you don't live close enough to one of the
        existing contact people, consider volunteering to be listed, yourself. Who
        knows, I might even be able to dig out a second person from those old files.

        David Lenander, Library Manager I
        Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
        Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
        Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
        University of Minnesota
        Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

        e-mail: d-lena@...
        web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html
      • Tom & Maria T
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 1999
          Diane,
          Sorry this response is days late. To answer your question about where
          Weston is: it is a small town, approximately 25 miles s.w. of Toledo.
          No, I haven't read "Arm of the Stone", but will put it on my new reading
          list, with Charles De Lint.
          My reading this year has been classic works: for example, All Hallows'
          Eves, and Williams' book about the Grail (which, curiously, is the only good
          book I can never remember the name of). To be able to talk, I'm going to
          have to catch up.
          Happy New Year!
          Maria Tatham, Weston, OH