Re: On another tack

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22 11:55 AM
      Well, I've been re-reading LOTR and have found a few bones to pick, but not
      being acquainted with the history of Tolkien criticism, do not know which
      have been picked long before (Troll-style).

      And an inconsistency I did =not= spot is mentioned by Christopher Tolkien
      early in his volume on the making of the books (History of Middle Earth, Vol.
      VIII, THE WAR OF THE RING) which I purchased in a fit of madness the other
      day (I say madness since I can hardly afford to buy or peruse the whole
      series, or even only the parts dealing with LOTR). Gimli says at the
      Hornburg that his axe has tasted nothing but wood since leaving Moria. Yet
      in that interim, he and Legolas had fought and killed a good number of Orcs,
      and we can be sure Legolas didn't do all the work.

      One thing which struck me was the duplication of effects. Different kinds of
      Orcs quarrel among themselves, to the great aid of Merry and Pippin; later,
      different kinds of Orcs quarrel among themselves, to the great aid of Sam and
      Frodo. The Company finds its way at a desperate moment by taking a
      subterranean route through Moria; Aragorn and his company find their way at
      a desperate moment by taking the subterranean Paths of the Dead. And of
      course, the opportune arrival of Eagles saves the day twice at critical
      points - first for Gandalf, then for Frodo and Sam. "When does the next
      Eagle leave?"

      By the way, where do Orcs come from? The Dark Lord is so free with Orc lives
      that he must have a near-inexhaustible source of new ones. Are they
      "manufactured," or hatched? Where do lady Orcs (if any) live, and what would
      they be like? Would a =baby= Orc be sweet and innocent? The mind quails at
      imagining the love-passages of Orcs. :)

      I have another question to bring up and it is a sizeable one. For another
      day.

      I assume all these subjects can be further, and lovingly, pursued over
      mealtables and snacks (six meals a day, if we can get them) at Mythcon.

      Mary S