Re: [mythsoc] First Screening, LOTR

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      At 11:56 AM 11/30/2001 , Mary reported:
      >>From a list I'm on:
      >
      >>The first screening in New
      >York for long-lead press was yesterday, and the reports I got back
      >second-hand from our office were that "the fantasy geeks loved it, and
      >everyone else was not that hot on it." But how that translates in this
      >instance I'm not sure, since obviously the books' appeal well transcends the
      >ranks of "fantasy geeks." Anyway, it's encouraging that somebody at least
      >loves it.
      >
      >So, dunno what that means for us... I guess ALL of us on this list qualify
      >as "fantasy geeks" <VBG>

      Can we triangulate against Harry Potter? A lot of children seem to have
      been entranced by that film, but only a few adults - Roger Ebert and
      Michael Martinez come to mind - seem to have been wholly enthusiastic about
      it. I was perplexed by the anti-HP reviewers who proudly proclaimed that
      they hadn't read the book (among other things, it made it impossible to
      tell whether they disliked the execution or the whole premise), but there
      are plenty of "fantasy geeks" who, whether or not they really liked the HP
      books at least understand their point and appeal, who were disappointed by
      the movie.

      I count myself as one such (and yes, I like the books), and you can read
      some perceptive comments by two others, Patrick Nielsen Hayden and Scraps
      de Selby, in the Tuesday 11/27 entry at Patrick's weblog here:
      http://www.panix.com/~pnh/electrolite.html

      David Bratman
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
        OK, folks, start your horses.

        Tickets for the Peter Jackson LOTR film are now on sale at www.fandango.com
        for days between the opening (Wedneday, 12/19) and Christmas Day (the
        following Tuesday).

        In my area, at least, it's getting a wide release in Century theatres, all
        of which have the same 3 showtimes: 12:20, 4:10, and 8 PM. And it's 2
        hours 45 minutes long (yeeks).

        Have fun!

        David Bratman