First Screening, LOTR

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      From a list I'm on:

      >The first screening in New
      York for long-lead press was yesterday, and the reports I got back
      second-hand from our office were that "the fantasy geeks loved it, and
      everyone else was not that hot on it." But how that translates in this
      instance I'm not sure, since obviously the books' appeal well transcends the
      ranks of "fantasy geeks." Anyway, it's encouraging that somebody at least
      loves it.

      So, dunno what that means for us... I guess ALL of us on this list qualify
      as "fantasy geeks" <VBG>

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
        At 11:56 AM 11/30/2001 , Mary reported:
        >>From a list I'm on:
        >
        >>The first screening in New
        >York for long-lead press was yesterday, and the reports I got back
        >second-hand from our office were that "the fantasy geeks loved it, and
        >everyone else was not that hot on it." But how that translates in this
        >instance I'm not sure, since obviously the books' appeal well transcends the
        >ranks of "fantasy geeks." Anyway, it's encouraging that somebody at least
        >loves it.
        >
        >So, dunno what that means for us... I guess ALL of us on this list qualify
        >as "fantasy geeks" <VBG>

        Can we triangulate against Harry Potter? A lot of children seem to have
        been entranced by that film, but only a few adults - Roger Ebert and
        Michael Martinez come to mind - seem to have been wholly enthusiastic about
        it. I was perplexed by the anti-HP reviewers who proudly proclaimed that
        they hadn't read the book (among other things, it made it impossible to
        tell whether they disliked the execution or the whole premise), but there
        are plenty of "fantasy geeks" who, whether or not they really liked the HP
        books at least understand their point and appeal, who were disappointed by
        the movie.

        I count myself as one such (and yes, I like the books), and you can read
        some perceptive comments by two others, Patrick Nielsen Hayden and Scraps
        de Selby, in the Tuesday 11/27 entry at Patrick's weblog here:
        http://www.panix.com/~pnh/electrolite.html

        David Bratman
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
          OK, folks, start your horses.

          Tickets for the Peter Jackson LOTR film are now on sale at www.fandango.com
          for days between the opening (Wedneday, 12/19) and Christmas Day (the
          following Tuesday).

          In my area, at least, it's getting a wide release in Century theatres, all
          of which have the same 3 showtimes: 12:20, 4:10, and 8 PM. And it's 2
          hours 45 minutes long (yeeks).

          Have fun!

          David Bratman